KPIG Squeals
Meatless Monday - Printable Version

+- KPIG Squeals (http://squeals.kpig.com)
+-- Forum: KPIG (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sloppin' the Trough (/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Meatless Monday (/showthread.php?tid=351)

Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-04-2010 12:02 PM

Are you up for the challenge?

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-12-2010 02:27 PM

Well, Sherman, that doesn't surprise me at all. Smile Enjoy! Big Grin

Here's what I made for dinner last night ...
[Image: 100_2779.jpg]
Whole wheat crepes stuffed with asparagus, spinach & mushrooms drizzled with a garlic/lemon sauce with fresh tomato

Of course, anyone who knows me personally knows that I've been a vegetarian most of my life. So, every night is a meatless meal for me. But I know that the majority of the folks who read this board are not vegetarian. And I am TRULY not interested in shoving an agenda down anyone's throat - honestly - I just want to pose this question to those, (other than Sherman), who eat meat and enjoy it ... would you consider making a serious, real commitment to going meatless just once a week, for the sake of your health, and the health of the planet? If not, why not? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-12-2010 06:51 PM

(10-12-2010 02:27 PM)Arden Wrote:  Here's what I made for dinner last night ...
Whole wheat crepes stuffed with asparagus, spinach & mushrooms drizzled with a garlic/lemon sauce with fresh tomato

WOW Arden that looooks AMAZING !!!!! And you put alll my favorite stuff in it...Smile

I'm making tofu & assorted veggies from my garden with garlic peanut sauce 2nite. But now I'm experiencing TOTAL dinnner envy over that beautiful creation you made.Heart Please xcuse me whilst I wipe the drooool off my keyboard, ha !!!! TongueTongueTongue

Are whole wheat crepes hard to make ? Does it require a special pan or whatever ? And what's in the garlic/lemon sauce ? Huh

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-12-2010 07:54 PM

Hiya, Anjil, dear Smile
your dinner sounds DEEEEEEElish!!! Nothin' better than veg fresh from the garden!! And, oh, I SO love peanut sauce, yum yum!! Do you have a favorite recipe, or do you have a favorite brand you buy pre-made?

Whole Wheat crepes are very simple to make. I don't have any kind of a special crepe pan, but I do have a small, non-stick frying pan, and a silicon spatula. These make the job easy. I have never tried it with either a non-stick pan, or with a regular spatula.

Here's a link to the recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-whole-wheat-french-crepes-102058
I follow the directions for the blender-style, and I used ww pastry flour (because that's what I had)
And, I don't put any butter in the pan - the non-stick pan works perfectly without it ... Smile
They were very easy to make, and tender and delicious. The only trick is making up the batter ahead of time, because it needs to "rest" in the frig for 1 -4 hours after you blend it.

Here is the recipe for the sauce:
http://www.ivu.org/recipes/pasta/lemon-pasta.html

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-13-2010 07:13 PM

Thank you for the recipe links, Arden !!!!!

I am gonnna try makin' the crepes real sooon. I LOVE what you filled 'em with, just loooks sooooo tasty !!!!! (guess ya could put just about anything in them & on them though ? Dunno cuz never in my life have I ever made crepes. So wish me luck, ha !!!!!)

For the peanut sauce, I couldn't find a recipe that seemed just right so I invented my own and it turned out absolutely fabulous (well though, ya gotta like lotsa garlic n' cilantro to enjoy it ;-)

Thanks again. You are always SO INSPIRING and I just KNEW you could rise to any cooking challenge (diet restrictions or whatever) they might throw your way. ExclamationSmileExclamation

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-13-2010 07:45 PM

Hiya, Anjil,
I absolutely love both garlic and cilantro, please share your recipe? Big Grin

I was intimidated the first time I made crepes, too, but I promise you, they really are easy, and you will be so proud of yourself! Use a non-stick pan, get it nice and hot, as you would for pancakes. Hold the pan in one hand, and with the the other, pour in about 1/4 cup of batter. Then, quickly turn your wrist to get the batter to evenly cover the bottom of the pan. When you see the edges begin to brown, and the top dry out a little, (about 30 sec.), flip it over w/ the spatula, and cook it on the other side, again about 30 seconds. They cook fast, and ya don't wanna overcook them. Don't worry about cooling them on a special rack, either, pshaw. I just stack 'em on a plate while I'm making 'em.

Yeah, you could put anything at all you wanted in there for a filling, absolutely. You don't need any special recipe for that. You wouldn't want anything really super wet, but other than that ... your favorite combo of cooked veggies, perhaps with a wee bit of cheese? Your favorite combos of cheeses, perhaps with a bit of veggies? Big Grin Your fave sandwich spread or filling Smile ... your dinner leftovers from the night before Smile ...
They are also just delicious for dessert, filled with any kind of chopped fruit and/or chocolate ...
Thanks for saying such nice things Smile I am now 8 weeks into the diet, have lost 13 pounds. Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-13-2010 08:34 PM

Here is the main recipe that I deviated from:

SPICY PEANUT SAUCE
5 oz. chunky peanut butter
2 tbs. soy sauce
1/3 cup water
3 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. sesame oil
1 1/2 tbs. rice wine vinegar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro, or Chinese parsley
1 tbs. plus 1 tsp. hot chili oil

Directions:
Beat all the ingredients together in an electric mixer.(Do not use a food processor as it may distort the texture and color of this sauce.) Store in the refrigerator in a covered container. This sauce will keep for weeks.

MY VERSION:

1/2 cup + peanut butter
3 tbs soy sauce
1/2 cup water (or more to desired consistency)
2 tsp sugar + (note that original called for TBSP's !!!)
2 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs mirin
1 lime, juiced
6-8 medium sized cloves garlic
1 tsp cayenne (or less if ya don't like spicy)

Pulse in food processor, then stir in 2/3 cup finely chopped cilantro.
NOTE: I also stirred in 2 minced green onions but I don't think they were needed because they sorta chunked up the consistency of the formerly smoooth sauce. Maybe if they had been pulsed in during the processing that I wasn't s'posed to do, according to the original recipe ? ;-)

Verdict: This is the best peanut sauce I've tried so far. (Coulda used even more cilantro cuz that reallly made it gooood.) Mixed it in with some brown rice spaghetti, veggies and tofu. There was extra sauce leftover so today for lunch I wilted some spinach and made gooood use of the remainder of that heavenly peanut concoction, ha !!!! Yum. Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-13-2010 08:53 PM

OH MY DOG, Anjil, THANK YOU!
That sounds swoony. I do like chili oil, so I might stick with that rather than cayenne, but other than that, all your mods sound exactly like what I'd do. Smile Truly. More soy sauce. Smile More sesame oil ( I LOVE sesame oil). Smile I LOVE cilantro - and, yes, I like it spicy Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin And I'm sure that 2 tsp of sugar are plenty! (boy, if you cut waaaaaaay back on your sugar as I have for the last several years, your tastebuds become dis-acclimated to it. Ordinary sweet things, like your average cake or muffins are way over the top waaay too sweet for my taste now) But I DO like just a little bit of sweet in with the hot! Big Grin
I am most definitely going to make this, and soon!!
I can see where the green onions maybe'd be better sprinkled on as a garnish with anything you might put the sauce on. Smile Ummm, I'd sprinkle on some toasted sesame seeds, too, while I was at it. Wink
Yum, both your stir fry and your spinach sound GREAT!
I wanna eat at your house, [Image: smilie-1.gif]

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-13-2010 08:56 PM

ps
you could put your stir-fried veggies'n'tofu in a whole wheat crepe, drizzle it with your peanut sauce, and then Ooooooooo! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-13-2010 09:18 PM

Oh yeah, that peanut sauce crepe sounds tooo goooood !!!! Totally gonna try that when I go on my Arden-inspired Crepe Odyssey, ha !!!!!!

As for the chili oil, I love it (especially on potstickers) but the bottle I recently bought has a funky taste to it and I figured with all the oil already in the sauce, I'd just add the heat from powdered cayenne.

And I agree, a little sugar is not a bad thing @ all. It balances allll those other tastes in the foood. I usually start with about 1/4 of what a recipe calls for and add more if needed. Not afraid to add more; not boycotting sugar. Just that it ruins the moood for me when dinner starts tasting like dessert. Confused

Man, that organic brown rice spaghetti was gooood toooo !!!! Pasta is one of my weaknesses (esp. anjil hair, ha !!!!) and it was very nice to get the whole grain goodness in with my indulgence. Tongue Of course, more veggies, less pasta so's not to get that lethargic feeling...

But why oh why did I forget the toasted sesame seeeds ??? I buy them in bulk and they are right there in my cupboard, arggggh !!!!! Okay, next time... Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-13-2010 09:28 PM

yup, when I do eat pasta, it's whole grain, and in moderation. It's definitely something I've had to cut back on. but there is a multigrain angel hair pasta at my nearby market that's pretty darn tasty, and it'd be mighty fine with some of that there magically delicious peanut sauce. Smile
(And red peppers. and asparagus. Wink Wink )

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-13-2010 09:49 PM

(10-13-2010 09:28 PM)Arden Wrote:  (And red peppers. and asparagus. Wink Wink )

Aren't you glad that you love vegetables ? I feel so fortunate in that regard cuz so many of my friends n' relatives really are not interested in them. In fact, they can barely gag 'em down !!! And to me, veggies are like the lead singer in the band of my dinnner. (yeah I never claimed to be normal, ha !!!!) Tongue

What I forgot to tell ya about that peanut sauce is that it doesn't leave everything it comes in contact with in a sticky glunky heaping gooey coagulated mess that ya can't even separate with your fork (a flaw most peanut sauces share.) This one is thin in a dignified & elegant manner. That's why it truly does kick ass !!!!! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-13-2010 10:02 PM

being normal is severely overrated, imho [Image: rolleye0014.gif]

" This one is thin in a dignified & elegant manner." [Image: thumbs-up.gif][Image: bravo.gif][Image: 47831.gif]

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-18-2010 05:05 PM

Well, it's Monday again ... what are YOU having for dinner tonight?
I have a cauliflower green bean pie with grated yam crust in the oven ...

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-18-2010 09:36 PM

came out great ...
[Image: 100_2846.jpg]
[Image: 100_2850.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-25-2010 11:14 AM

Another weekend begins, and it's Meatless Monday once again!!
I'm going to make 17 Bean & Barley Soup ... what are YOU having for dinner tonight? Smile

edit:
here it is ...
soup'n'salad, yum!
[Image: 100_3074.jpg]
[Image: 100_3077.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-25-2010 08:57 PM

Oh Arden, you are the Low Carb Veggie Ninja !!!!!!

I just knew you would turn all those restrictions into delicious nutritious ART !!!!! Smile

I wanna come to your book-signing when the book gets published. Luckily you won't have to hire a photographer either cuz you got the WHOLE PACKAGE already wrapped up, ha !!!!!!!

What an inspiration you are. Heart

...and now, about those seventeeen beans... ???Huh

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-25-2010 10:08 PM

(10-25-2010 08:57 PM)Anjil Wrote:  ...and now, about those seventeeen beans... ???Huh

yes?

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 10-26-2010 06:23 PM

Well, Arden I'm having a li'l trouble naming seventeeen different beans.

Hmmmm, let's see:

Adzuki
Black
Cannellini
Fava
Garbanzo
Great Northern
Kidney
Lima
Mung
Navy
Pink
Pinto
Red
Soy
Small White

I think that makes fifteeeen...

So. Which ones am I leaving out ??? Huh
(probably lots, cuz I'm just bean stupid right now, ha !!!!!!!) SmileSmileSmile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 10-26-2010 09:20 PM

you are certainly not stupid, I'd say you're pretty dang smart!
you named several that don't even happen to be in this mix, ha!

well, here's what happened to be in this particular* 17 bean soup mix ...

baby lima beans
black turtle beans
blackeyed peas
dark red kidney beans
garbanzo beans
great northern beans
green lentils
green split peas
large lima beans
light red kidney beans
navy beans
pink beans
pinto beans
red lentils
small red beans
small white beans
yellow split peas
(and barley, which ain't a bean)

* Trader Joe's 17 bean and barley soup mix.

I used a splash of cab sav to deglaze the pan when I made the mirepoix, and added just a dash of liquid smoke to the broth, it had a nice umami thing goin' on. Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-01-2010 08:55 PM

tonight, I made a special birthday menu as a gift for a dear friend

for the appetizer -
Butter Lettuce and Fresh Herb Salad with Mustard-Tarragon Vinaigrette

for the entree -
Whole Wheat Crepes stuffed wih Oven-Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms, and topped with Creamy Rosemary Goat Cheese Sauce and Diced Roasted Red Peppers

for the dessert -
chilled Bija organic dark chocolate truffles
champagne
raspberry parfait

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-08-2010 08:44 PM

Happy Meatless Monday! What's for dinner at your house? I made sliced
roasted yams, lentil loaf with roasted red pepper/roasted garlic sauce,
and steamed brussel sprouts ... what did you have?
[Image: 100_3237.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 11-11-2010 09:40 PM

(11-08-2010 08:44 PM)Arden Wrote:  Happy Meatless Monday! What's for dinner at your house? I made sliced
roasted yams, lentil loaf with roasted red pepper/roasted garlic sauce,
and steamed brussel sprouts ... what did you have?

Wow Arden, that looks tasty !!! ('cept for the brussel sprouts which I kinda got my fill of cuz my momma used to serve 'em up every week swimming in Velveeta, ha !!!!)

So. My niece & I are gonnna start up a Pizza Wagon pretty soon, in Berkeley or S.F. (think Taco Wagon pulling a wood-fired oven trailer, serving Italiano fast foood al fresco ;-)

I'm wondering if you have any ideas for "makeover" recipes for vegetarians on restricted diets that might translate well to Pizza Wagon fare... Huh

Just asking cuz your culinary skills are unsurpasssed !!!!

...and BTW, what's in that roasted red pepper/roasted garlic sauce ??? Loooks pretty yummmy... Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-12-2010 10:09 PM

wow, Anjil, congrats, that sounds like a super fun adventure!! Whoo- hoo!

I will have to think about your question ...

boy, that sauce couldn't get any easier - one large fire-roasted red bell pepper, one head of garlic that's been oven roasted, chop up the roasted pepper, squeeze the roasted garlic out, whir 'em together in the food processor or blender - maybe a pinch of salt - that's it!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-15-2010 11:37 PM

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all! Smile http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Just checkin' in ... What's for dinner at YOUR house?
Any other piggies out there eatin' meatless? Smile

My dinner plans changed several times tonight, as I could not find the ingredients I wanted for my first two ideas at either market (Farmers or "super") Wink
Then, an ingredient I thought I had at home was unusable, rendering my third meal plan null and void. Ever have evenings like that? Smile
I finally wound up making a veggie "ground round"/pinquito bean mixture with tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, garlic, shallots, a little tomato paste, cilantro, etc. served with brown rice, and some sliced avo & black olives ... not as spicy as chili, not as "saucy" as sloppy joe ... good, though!

also did have a tall glass of cold green tea with a spoonful of pomegranate molasses stirred in - it was good!
[Image: 100_3345.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - barndweller - 11-29-2010 05:42 PM

We have been observing the meatless thing at dinner on most Mondays for awhile now. I am an omnivore myself, but figure it's not a bad idea to take a little extra load off of mother earth once a week. My daughter does not eat meat, and Monday seems like a nice day to make something special for her, so it works out here. Tonight is pasta and veggies. Maybe open a bottle of wine. We got Ror on the pig so it's all good...

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-29-2010 07:39 PM

Ahh, excellent, Tom, thanks so much for checkin' in!!! Smile
Good to know that folks who enjoy eating a wide variety of stuff including meat do realize the necessity of cutting back some for the sake of the planet, if no other reason. Although your health is another good reason.
Anyway, that's lovely, sounds like a lovely family meal.
Pasta and veg used to be my go-to meal, but due to my various dietary health concerns, (primarily being diabetic,) I very rarely eat pasta anymore, unless it's a small amount (ie, not the main focus of the meal,) of whole grain.
I do miss it ... and cheese, sigh, which I've had to give up in order to lose weight ...

but anyway, tonight's dinner is black bean, roasted mushroom and zucchini enchiladas, baked with a verde sauce; and a side of creamy cilantro coleslaw ... yum!
[Image: 100_3601.jpg]

cheers!

[Image: toast.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 11-29-2010 10:03 PM

Oh Arden, that looks spectacular !!!

I hope you'll post the recipes.

We sure do LOVE your Monday nite foood stuff !!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-29-2010 11:34 PM

Well, Anjil, to tell you the truth, I was craving some nice melty cheese over the whole shebang, but I am trying to be good ...

no real recipes ...

the enchiladas ...
1 pkg green chile corn tortillas, lightly brushed with oil and quickly fried on both sides, set aside
in a non-stick fry pan, saute 1 small onion diced, 1 clove garlic pressed, 1/4 red bell pepper, diced, 1 large zucchini cubed in a little olive oil with a little cumin, salt and black pepper til onions begin to brown and zucchini softens.
add 1 can refried black beans, and the roasted mushrooms you have leftover from thanksgiving* Wink, stir it all up and heat it through ...
in a 9x12 pyrex casserole dish, pour just a thin little layer of straight from the can green enchilada sauce (the big fat can size) - I recommend whatever brand's on sale this week Smile
make a thick stripe with blob of the bean mixture down the center of a tortilla, fold the sides in, place it seam side down in the casserole pan, repeat till you've used up all the filling and torts. Carefully pour the rest of the can of enchilada sauce over the entire contents of the casserole dish. Here's the spot where normal folks might put some nice shredded cheese across the top. Without the cheese, cover the pan with foil. Bake in a moderate over till bubbly - maybe 350 for 25 minutes or so ...
since I am NOT eating cheese, I think maybe next time I'll garnish them after they come out of the oven with browned onions and peppers ...

hmm, the coleslaw ...
truth is,
Lazy Muzicgirl's Cheater Coleslaw
(it's good, though)
1 bag coleslaw mix ( preshredded cabbage, 2 kinds + carrots)
add a small amount of this delicious dressing:
http://www.litehousefoods.com/products/creamy-cilantro
and some cracked black pepper, to taste

heh heh

and really, I dunno if anyone other than you and me ( and maybe Tom) cares one whit about these Meatless Monday posts, but it would seem some folks are reading 'em, anyway ...
so, I'll keep posting, for a while ...
but, it'd be a lot more fun if more folks would participate ...
after a while, I may start to get self-conscious about it, and stop posting ...

* Oven roasted mushrooms

Wash about a pound of your fave mushrooms - a mix of white and crimini are nice ... cut small ones in two, large ones in quarters ... put in a large plastic baggie (the kind you get from the grocery store produce section,) add a few good squirts olive oil, lots of salt and pepper (any other herbs you fancy), twist the top shut and have fun shaking it all around to coat the mushrooms really well. Pour out into a 9 X 12 pyrex dish, pop in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes or so - keep an eye on them, stir when necessary, they are done when they just start to shrivel.
Any juices in the pan are delicious added to soups. These are great just "as is", delicious in salads either hot or cold, add to sandwiches, stir frys, soups, stews, egg or potato or pasta dishes, whatever ...

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 11-30-2010 08:48 PM

"Here's the spot where normal folks might put some nice shredded cheese across the top." Smile

Oh yeah. Let's grate about a pound of Tillamoook sharp cheddar onto it. Maybe just target MY enchilada cuz me likey likey cheeese, ha !!!!!! And if that's what it takes to be normal, then hey--I can do that TongueTongueTongue

Actually, I confessss:

Whenever I hear the Porch Sonnng by REK and he sings "this ol' porch is just a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas with lotsa cheeese n' onions and a guacamole salad" it kinda sends me into a cheeese swooon. Cool

Thanks Arden for the recipes and alll the GREAT ideas you have for veggie dinners !!!

Is that Cilantro salad dressing pretty much mainstream ? Will I find it @ Safeway or whatever ? Cuz I have a head of organic cabbage that's just begging for it, ha !!!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-30-2010 09:05 PM

(11-30-2010 08:48 PM)Anjil Wrote:  "Here's the spot where normal folks might put some nice shredded cheese across the top." Smile

Oh yeah. Let's grate about a pound of Tillamoook sharp cheddar onto it. Maybe just target MY enchilada cuz me likey likey cheeese, ha !!!!!! And if that's what it takes to be normal, then hey--I can do that TongueTongueTongue

Actually, I confessss:

Whenever I hear the Porch Sonnng by REK and he sings "this ol' porch is just a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas with lotsa cheeese n' onions and a guacamole salad" it kinda sends me into a cheeese swooon. Cool

Thanks Arden for the recipes and alll the GREAT ideas you have for veggie dinners !!!

Is that Cilantro salad dressing pretty much mainstream ? Will I find it @ Safeway or whatever ? Cuz I have a head of organic cabbage that's just begging for it, ha !!!!!

I love cheese, Anjil, ooo, I love it, and you sure know how ta talk dirty to a girl, y'know? Tongue

but I gotta keep my head, cause I gotta keep losin' weight, Big Grin ,

The dressing I have found at Raley's/Nob Hill ... but not at Safeway, at least not around here ... sometimes at SavMart

or, if you wanted to make it yourself from scratch:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
2 ounces crumbled Cotija cheese

blend all ingredients well, chill

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 11-30-2010 09:30 PM

Cool, Arden cuz there's a Raley's nearby. I'll get some of that magic Cilantro stufff 2morrow n' make my cabbage a happy cabbage head !!!

Do you ever do homemade mayo ? I just started into it and boy oh boy... Smile

For Thanksgiving, I was in charge of bringing the salad to my ex mother-in-law's place. Once upon a time, she used to make salad for us @ every dinner and she introduced me to Ranch Dressing. That was back when it wasn't available in bottles and it tasted WAY BETTER than the bottled junk they sell now.

So. I bought a packet of the powdered stufff. It told me to mix it into mayo. Since I don't like jarred mayo, I decided to make some from scratch with light olive oil...

Oh man that was goood !!!! And it made the best Ranch dressing EVER !!!!!

Don't think I'll ever buy another container of mayo cuz it only takes about 3 minutes to make homemade (if ya have a food processor with the tiny holes in the pusher shoot thingy) and the taste IS UNSURPASSED.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll try the homemade AND the store bought versions of that cilantro stufff. I bet they are both EXCELLLENT !!! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 11-30-2010 11:58 PM

yes, I make both mayo and aioli in the blender, (never done it in a food processor.) But it is easy, and very quick, and definitely tastier than store-bought ...
your ranch dressing sounds great, yum Smile I'll bet EVERYone loved it!!
now, your assignment next time, should you choose to accept - Wink ... skip the packet, and make THE WHOLE THING from scratch! Wink
the rest is just buttermilk and spices ... Smile

the store bought cilantro dressing is very good
but of course, the homemade dressing is deeelicious

and okay, here's the recipe I use it in all the time, and oh boy, is it good!! I bring it to pot-lucks all the time, and everyone just loves it! http://squeals.kpig.com/showthread.php?tid=172

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 12-01-2010 12:09 AM

Thank you, Arden. You are WONDERFUL !!!

I will make the new dressing from SCRATCH, ha !!! SmileSmileSmile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 12-06-2010 10:14 PM

Happy Meatless Monday! Smile

I made green pea pie ...
adapted from this recipe:
http://thelovebite.com/recipes/the_main_event/cheap_pea_pie/
[Image: 100_3681.jpg]

and baked stuffed tomatoes ... my own improv recipe, stuffed with cous cous flavored with onions, garlic, green pepper, lots of fresh basil, a little parmesan ...
[Image: 100_3686.jpg]
both were very tasty Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 12-13-2010 07:35 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!

I made a spinach mushroom pie with grated yam crust ...
[Image: 100_3737.jpg]

what's for dinner at your house?

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-03-2011 08:11 PM

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all!

I made a Brown Rice & Cabbage casserole, it was very yummy! What's for dinner at your house?

[Image: 100_1076.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-10-2011 06:52 PM

Well, hey, here it is Monday again!

Happy Meatless Monday!! Smile

Why Monday?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-elam/meatless-monday-why-monday_b_730669.html

I baked a batch of Buttermilk Oatmeal Cinnamon Raisin Walnut Muffins ... yum yum yum! 100% whole grain, no sugar

I have a pot of soup on the stove currently cooking for dinner. It's a yellow split pea/white bean soup with carmelized tomatoes & other veggies ... will probably make a salad as well.

so, what's for dinner at your house? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-10-2011 08:55 PM

Oh Arden, those muffins sound WONDERFUL !!! Especially sans sugar... May I please have the recipe ???

I toooo have a pot of soup on the stove. Smile It's a nice veggie Minestrone: Turnips, garlic, onions, celery, potatoes, green beans, carrots, kidney beans, zucchini, etc. With baby spinach to toss in after the thing is done cooking. Don't want the spinach to lose its nice GREEEN, ha !!!!

Oh yeah, the soup base is a quart of organic heirlooom tomato puree, harvested & frozen in Sept. 2010 from my garden !!!! It is goooood and makes the flavor so rich and full !!!!!!!

I have leftover Parmesan Reggiano from our big fat Pizza Party last nite so that will be sprinkled on top. Also thinking of boiling just a few cheese tortellini to add to the bowl when I plate it (or bowl it or whatever, ha !!!)

Life is GOOOD SmileTongueSmile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-10-2011 09:40 PM

OMG, Anjil, your soup sounds incredibly divine!!. Oh my, oh my. [Image: smiley_emoticons_leckerer2.gif]
If we lived closer, we would definitely have to start a dinner club!! Big Grin

PLEASE tell me all about your pizza party! yum!

Here's the muffin recipe I used:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/buttermilk-oatmeal-muffins/Detail.aspx

but with the following mods:

I subbed (swapped out):

1/4 cup sugar free hazelnut syrup for (instead of) the brown sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour for the 1 cup AP flour

and,
I added :

one additional egg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins (that I "plumped up by soaking in hot water for 15 min. before adding to the recipe)

so good!

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-10-2011 10:42 PM

Oh Arden, those muffins are gonna be FABULOUS !!! The perfect accompaniment to a savory soup is a (slightly) sweet muffin or bread !!!Smile

The Pizza Party was FABULOUS !!!! Our doughmeister did a slow rise for several days and portioned it off into personal sized li'l balls of dough that were all ready for us when we got there.

The toppings were superb !!!! Our party hostess had twice as many interesting and varied ingredients available than she had stated in her email.

Plus, there were lotsa musicians there. Guitars and Ukuleles and singers with good voices !!! So those that didn't wanna do kitchen stuff provided the soundtrack !!! SmileSmileSmile One guy had a Parlor Guitar that was made in the 1800's. It was acoustic but sounded like it was plugged into electrics !!! I think it is attributable to the very very aged woood !!!! Exclamation

And we started planning our wood ovens which we will build in April...

Yummy Yum Yum was it ever fun, ha !!!!!!!TongueHeartTongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-10-2011 11:59 PM

boy, oh, boy, does that sound GREAT!!!!
What were your fave toppings/combos?

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-11-2011 11:36 PM

Well Arden, I took your advice and did a white sauce !! (To which I added extra fresh minced garlic and chopped green onions.) Thank you for the GREAT idea !!!! Idea

So. A light coating of mozzarella on the crust, a layer of finely chopped spinach, the white sauce, a sprinkling of parmesan reggiano to cover the sauce and then some fresh shiitake mushroooms... SmileSmileSmile

Next time I'll add the red bell peppers, either roasted or fresh for extra flavor and color. Plus some julienned fresh basil leaves after it comes outta the oven so the top will have that lovely red/green/white color of the Italian flag. (Those extra toppings were there but I didn't use 'em cuz I went into a pizza swooon and lost my sense of patience or reason or whatever.) Musta been those irresistible aromas coming from the kitchen from the moment I got there, ha !!!!

But it was alll VERY gooood. TongueTongueTongue

Wish you coulda been there... Heart

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-17-2011 08:39 PM

Oh. my. word.

Anjil, it all just sounds SO divine!! Smile perfectly divine!

[Image: smileyeatingpreparingpizza.gif]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-19-2011 09:30 PM

Well Arden, here are the ones inspiring it all:

http://www.pizzapolitana.com/farmersmarkets.html

My Bro-in-law is going to make the ovens. Two of them, probably !!!

And here is what my biz partner wants to pattern the pizzas after:

http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/pizza

(I just noticed that the California Honey Drops played there yesterday... Dang, missed it cuz I was on the California Zephyr ;-)

They only sell vegetarian pizzas and apparently there is a constant line out the door to get them... Smile

Have you been there ? Or heard about it ? Well ya heard about it now if not earlier, ha !!!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-19-2011 09:32 PM

(01-17-2011 08:39 PM)Arden Wrote:  Oh. my. word.

Anjil, it all just sounds SO divine!! Smile perfectly divine!

[Image: smileyeatingpreparingpizza.gif]

Oh that li'l Pizza Flippper is SO CUTE !!!! Thanks Arden. Big Grin

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-23-2011 05:35 AM

(01-19-2011 09:30 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Well Arden, here are the ones inspiring it all:

http://www.pizzapolitana.com/farmersmarkets.html

My Bro-in-law is going to make the ovens. Two of them, probably !!!

And here is what my biz partner wants to pattern the pizzas after:

http://cheeseboardcollective.coop/pizza

(I just noticed that the California Honey Drops played there yesterday... Dang, missed it cuz I was on the California Zephyr ;-)

They only sell vegetarian pizzas and apparently there is a constant line out the door to get them... Smile

Have you been there ? Or heard about it ? Well ya heard about it now if not earlier, ha !!!!! Tongue

Anjil, this is SO cool! I'm so happy and excited for you!
Cheeseboard Collective is new to me, but OH MY they look amazing!!! Big Grin

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-31-2011 10:19 PM

Happy Meatless Monday, Piggies !!!

I am making a late dinner cuz I've been sowing seeds all day for a new business... Idea

Tonight's menu will be Cheese Ravioli with Cilantro Pesto Cream Sauce !!!!! Smile

It's quite easy. Cilantro Pesto is a dream... especiallly when ya add da cream, ha !!!!! Tongue

And the local Costco just got those frozen Kirkland Signature Rav's back in stock. All other raviolis pale in comparison. Exclamation

Gonna add in some spinach & mushrooooms. Maybe a few roasted red bells for color... Huh

With a giant salad to take up the bad calorie slack. Wink

TGIMM (thank Goddess it's meatless Monday, ha !!!!)

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 01-31-2011 11:05 PM

Oh WOW !!!

That was a FABULOUS batch of ravioli !!!!!

Didn't even have to add cream. Lowfat milk worked perfectly.

The ravioli turn a gorgeous color of Spring greeeen when the Cilantro Pesto slathers allll around... SmileSmileSmile

And the taste is simply unsurpasssed.

I did notice that the Costco Signature Rav's have shrunk since the last time I bought them. Maybe they've been listening to some old Steve Martin: "Let's get small" ha !!!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-31-2011 11:28 PM

that sounds DEEEE -lish!
and a happy Meatless Monday to you!
A friend took me out for Thai, I had Tom Kha Hed (coconut milk soup) and their special of the evening, "vegetable delight" (sautéed mixed vegetables and tofu with thai basil, chili and garlic) ... it was yum!

RE: Meatless Monday - barndweller - 02-01-2011 08:16 AM

(10-04-2010 12:02 PM)Arden Wrote:  Are you up for the challenge?

thanks Arden,

This is a good thread...
and if Monday didn't work for ya
('cause like at our house "meal-planning" is not what it ought to be)
you can have a meatless day on Tuesday (or as many days as you can, right?)

Mac and cheese is always a mighty fine way to dine...

butter
half and half
2 or 3 kinds of your favorite cheese
(maybe a little velveeta for smoothness,
and lots of white cheddar and pepper jack)
noodles
Italian seasoning
salt
bread crumbs

cook the pasta and drain
slowly melt in butter and some half and half
then put in shredded cheese a handful at a time
you need to add lots and lots of cheese
so add a little more half and half to get more melted in
stir in a couple pinches of seasoning and a pinch of salt
after you get the mixture looking good
spoon it all into a big baking dish
sprinkle some more shredded cheese on top
then lots of breadcrumbs all over the top
put this baby in your broiler for a couple minutes
(watch out it can burn fast if you don't watch it
you just want that gentle golden crust)
take it to the table and enjoy yourselves swine!

[Image: earth.jpg]

your mother thanks you

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-01-2011 09:39 AM

sounds DEEE-lishshuss, Barn!!

yum, yum, yum!! [Image: lickeye.gif]

and yes, I agree, ANY day's a good day to go meatless ...

I've probably posted this before, but here's a good link that explains why this particular campaign chose Monday as there focal point ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-elam/meatless-monday-why-monday_b_730669.html

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 02-01-2011 08:38 PM

(02-01-2011 08:16 AM)barndweller Wrote:  thanks Arden,

This is a good thread...
and if Monday didn't work for ya
('cause like at our house "meal-planning" is not what it ought to be)
you can have a meatless day on Tuesday (or as many days as you can, right?)

Mac and cheese is always a mighty fine way to dine...

Oh Barn, that is the best COMFORT FOOOD EVER !!!!!!
And your method sounds HEAVENLY !!!!!!!!!

Or in the stolen words of REK's BBQ:

"Oooh when I was a little boy
Only two or threez
The first thing I did enjoy
Was some macaroni n' cheese

CHORUS:
Macaroni oooozing with cheese
Makes ya happy, makes ya feel at ease
Mac n' cheese makes old ones feel young
Mac n' cheese makes everybody someone
If you're feelin' puny and you don't know what to do
Treat yourself to some cheese get yerself at ease…
Get some Mac n' Cheese

CHORUS

Don't give me no sirloin
Or any weird ass meat
Baby if you want to rock me
Mac n' cheese will be my treat, ha !!!!

CHORUS

Don't send me to heaven
It ain't where I should go
Cause the Devil's got Velveeta
And sweet pasta shapes below

CHORUS

Let your feet hit the street
Find a good place to eat
Get some Mac n' Cheese, ha !!!!!!"
SmileSmileSmile

Okay, go ahead & arrest me for silly-ness, hahaha !!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-07-2011 08:55 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!
I made individual spinach pies.
[Image: 100_4409.jpg]
What's for dinner at YOUR house? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 02-07-2011 09:30 PM

Wow, those Spinach Pies loook delicious !!!!!!

Wish I could reach into my computer screen n' grab one, ha !!!!!!
TongueTongueTongue

I have lotsa spinach in my fridge 2nite. How do ya make them yummmy looking pies ???

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-07-2011 10:21 PM

Okay, I kinda improvised off an old recipe for “spinach squares” that was a popular party appetizer back “in the day,”. Like 1963 or something. Rolleyes Tongue

Anyway, here’s what I did …

Mini spinach pies

Two 10 ounce packages frozen chopped spinach
3 eggs
1 cup white wheat flour
1 cup non-fat sour cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups shredded lowfat blend of cheeses (I used jack and cheddar)
½ cup shredded (dry) Italian blend cheese (parmesan, romano, asiago and provolone was the blend I used)
½ cup diced orange bell pepper
½ cup diced green onion

Preheat oven to 400.
Thaw spinach, and squeeze dry.
Beat eggs in a large bowl. Mix in flour, milk, salt, garlic powder and baking powder thoroughly. Stir in grated cheese, spinach, mustard, peppers and onions.
Grease a muffin tin generously with butter. Scoop out ¼ cup amounts of batter to fill individual muffins tins. Bake at 400 until nicely browned on top.

*(I had batter left over – I spread that in a thin layer in a buttered pie pan, topped it with slices of artichoke hearts, sprinkled with a bit of shredded cheese, and baked until lightly brown on top. That was good, too.)

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-14-2011 07:43 PM

Happy Meatless Monday,

and happy Valentine's day!

I made a vegetarian style "cioppino", with roasted portobella mushrooms, served over multi-grain angel hair pasta, it was umm umm good!

[Image: 100_4512.jpg]

Dessert report later! ; )

What's for dinner at your house?

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-14-2011 09:53 PM

here's dessert:
[Image: 100_4471.jpg]
poached pears poached with coffee, cinnamon and vanilla, served with raspberry sorbet, fresh raspberries and a dark chocolate drizzle ...

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-21-2011 04:27 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!!!
Today, just for fun, I'm doing the "cherry challenge" - incorporating cherries into a variety of dishes - so far, the menu planned looks something like this:
cherry spritzer
sweet and spicy cherry glazed tofu
multi-grain pilaf with pecans and cherries
warm spinach salad with black pepper/cherry vinaigrette
baked cherry pudding

photos later!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-21-2011 08:33 PM

[Image: 100_4534.jpg]

our cherry-themed dinner ... tofu "steaks" with sweet and spicy cherry glaze, multi-grain (koshihikari) sprouted brown rice pilaf with dried cherries and toasted pecans, and steamed spinach with sauteed sweet onions, sweet cherries and black pepper.
Mmmm, yes, it was good. Smile
served a splash of cold cherry juice in a glass of water as a beverage ...

haven't eaten the dessert yet, but here it is ...
[Image: 100_4540.jpg]

even though they called it baked cherry pudding, it seems more like a cherry cobbler to me ... at least the preparation did ... I'll let ya know how it tasted later Wink

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 02-21-2011 09:54 PM

Wow Arden, ya did it !! Stood up to the Challenge n' whipped them li'l cherries into shape, ha !!!!! Smile

And your creation is BEAUTIFUL toooo. Especiallly the spinach. I LOVE how the subtle color of the onions blends with those rich dark cherries to compliment the intense green of the spinach…Heart

Bet the crunch of those toasted pecans packed a nice punch tooooo…

What I'm tryin' to say is--

IT ALL LOOKS DELICIOUS !!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Hmmmm, think I'll try that sweet & spicy cherry glaze on some grilled tofu kabobs when
I'm feelin' mo betta. Huh Haven't coooked in a week cuz I been under da weather. Something I'm not used to toooo much… Confused

So. Which part of the dinner was your fave ?

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-21-2011 11:43 PM

thanks, Anjil!

I liked all the components of the meal, it was all tasty Smile
the glaze was good, the spinach was also very good, indeed
I think the pilaf was my favorite, this was a really great blend of koshihikari rices that I got from my local Asian market, 12 different kinds of whole grains, (sprouted brown rice, hulless barley, rye berries, jasmine brown, red rice, calmati brown, black barley, long grain red, black rice, whole oats, brown sweet rice, and wild rice) - yum! I cooked them in veggie broth, added the chopped toasted pecans and chopped dried cherries at the end, about 10 minutes before serving, so the cherries absorbed the liquid and plumped up.

oh, btw , the dessert report ...
the "baked cherry pudding",wasn't very custardy or pudding-like, it was more like a less starchy, slightly eggy cobbler ... a batter that spread thin in the pan, topped with a loose mixture of fruit and syrup baked up to a fruit-studded puff with an underlying layer of cherry glaze ... not exactly what I was expecting, but yummy enough to eat two pieces!! Wink

so, what did YOU have for dinner tonight, hmmm? HuhHuhHuh
inquiring minds want to know! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 02-28-2011 09:20 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!!

Today I made stuffed peppers ...

[Image: 100_4581.jpg]

the stuffing was made with a multi-grain pilaf (whole grain mixture with a variety of rices, barley, rye and oats,) with cherries, pecans, zucchini, red onions, mushrooms, and vegetarian "sausage" ... very yummy!

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 02-28-2011 10:59 PM

Oh man. Hope ya can't see me droolin' here, ha !!!!!
Only thing I'd add to that beautiful pepper is chopped tomato and sharp cheddar...

I LOVE barley stuffed peppers !!!!! And Arden, yours is absolutely magnificent to behold.

Isn't it AMAZING all the gorgeous colors of peppers ???

I grow mine from seed but unfortunately a wayward SNAIL got into my greenhouse last week and ate my YELLOW BELL seedlings, arrrrgh !!!!!

I still have orange, purple, white, red... but no yellow. That hungry snail from hell ate my eggplant seedlings toooo.Angry

Guess it's not toooo late to start over since it's still early Spring, so all is coool. Smile

Dang, that is one FEAST FOR THE EYES PEPPER, Arden !!!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-01-2011 12:10 AM

you are so sweet in all your effusiveness, thank you! [Image: icon_blush.gif]

ummm, ummm, umm, cheese is ALWAYS good ( but I was tryin' to be healthy, I guess) RolleyesConfused

tomato in addition to an entire pepper would be too much sweet for me, being diabetic, but that sounds good, too :_

yes, I love all kinds and colors of peppers, both sweet and hot ... I'm so impressed you grow your own!

I love barley, too Smile

so, you had any good meatless meals lately? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-07-2011 08:05 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!
I made refried black beans with onions, zucchini, mushrooms and chipotle pepper served over oven-roasted carmelized yams ... yum!! What's for dinner at your house?

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 03-07-2011 09:05 PM

Happy Meatless Monday to you toooo, Arden !!! Your black beans sound very yummmy. I have some soaking tonight, coincidently. Tomorrow I will aspire to make them fancy and delicious, just like yours !!!!! Smile

So. My ex-Mother-in-Law inexplicably gave me a brand new only-used-once-still-in-the-box Bread Machine a few days ago. Boy oh boy have I been having fun, ha !!!!!! Heart

Tonight I made a wonderful Three Seed Bread and a pot of Pasta Fagioli. Both recipes came from the AllRecipes site. (of course I made a few changes...) Huh

The Seed Bread is HEAVENLY and commands TOTAL attention. That's why I had to make the soup. Cuz that KICK ASS Flax/Sesame/Pumpkin Seed Bread told me to, hahaha !!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-07-2011 11:46 PM

oh, my, Anjil ... congrats on your new acquisition, it sounds like a gift that found just the right home!!
I KNOW you will have fun!

And of course, a loaf of kick ass bread cries for a good soup accompaniment! Big Grin

(ps ... it's great for making pizza dough, too! Wink )

umm, I wish I had some of your yummy bread right now!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-14-2011 07:03 PM

Hope everyone is doin' well ...
Today I made some Hoppin' John ...
[Image: 100_4695.jpg]
and I also made a ginger loaf with cherries ...
[Image: 100_4704.jpg]

what's for dinner at your house??

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-21-2011 05:44 PM

Tonight, I made a bleu cheese/brown rice soufflé, with some romanesco broccoli on the side ... what's for dinner at your house? Smile

[Image: 100_4745.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 03-21-2011 09:27 PM

Happpy Meatless Monday to you tooo, Arden !!!

That soufflé loooks delicious !!!! And who wouldn't want a side of Romanesco broccoli, AKA Outter Space Veggie, ha !!!!!

I made broccoli 2nite tooo, but just the plain ol' normal kind. With mushrooms n' asparagus in a Chinese-style garlic sauce.

Mostly though I've been making bread in my super-duper new Bread Machine !!!!!

And I've been experimenting and finding out stuffff... Huh

Did you know that garlic KILLS yeast ??? Confused

I didn't, till I put about 20 raw cloves in my Italian Bread recipe the other day, thinking it would be like the kind Costco sells with those yummmy roasted garlic nuggets inside...

...but it didn't happen correctly. Angry It FELL. Crying

Strangely, people ate it anyway. Confused Desperate times or whatever, ha !!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-21-2011 09:55 PM

Anjil, yes, unfortunately if you add garlic to the bread dough while the dough is still rising it will kill the yeast. Instead, you have to add the garlic after the dough has risen, just before baking it in the oven.
hey, ya experiment, ya find out, that's life! Smile At least everybody still loved it, that's the main thing!! Smile

Here's a quote I love, cooking advice from Alice May Brock, author of the Alice's Restaurant Cookbook ...

"The basic ingredient is your attitude. Your spirit, and the excitement and the anticipation whipped up in the minds and mouths of those lucky people about to eat your cooking, are what really insure success. If you tell people that what you're cooking is absolutely fantastic - if you squeeze their arm and whisper in their ear that this meal is the greatest yet - they're going to love it. They'll never suspect that the strange taste in the potatoes is just that you've burned them - they will naturally assume that it's some exotic flavor that their innocent tastebuds have never experienced. Unless you've made some hideous mistake, never apologize."

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-21-2011 10:17 PM

mmmm, and btw, everything in your dinner tonight sounds GREAT! All my favorite veggies, one of my favorite sauces. I have the feelin' it's always good eatin' at Anjil's house! Big Grin

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 03-21-2011 10:22 PM

What a WONDERFUL quote !! Thank you, Arden !!!!!

I think Alice May Brock's words of wisdom could work for just about EVERYTHING in Life. Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 03-21-2011 10:57 PM

Oh and BTW, I'm looking for any and all of the BEST vegetarian soup recipes I can find. Huh

There has been SO MUCH rain and dreariness that soup has taken center stage as a way to soothe and comfort weary Souls, at least in my realm.

Instead of focusing on just a Pizza Wagon, it's gonna be a Pizza n' Soup thing.

"Soup DeVille" is what I'm thinking. Like a Taco Wagon with big Cadillac fins or whatever. And delivering the BEST soups in the Universe !!!

I imagine cruising up to Intel or Apple or any of those gigantic office complexes on a dreary drizzly day with simmering vats of the most delicious and nutritious soups EVER !!!!

But we need some REALLLY GREAT Soup recipes. I have the Pasta Fagioli one down. Hmmmm... what else do people like ??? Huh

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-22-2011 08:37 AM

why not take a survey?
Ask people to name their top ten favorite soups. And when you get enough responses, you'll be able to see the clear favorites! Are you doing vegetarian soups only? I would think a very basic tomato would have to be on the menu, for starters. Most everyone seems to love tomato.

I very rarely, if ever, use a recipe when I make soup ...

some of my faves are:
multi-bean chili
white bean soup
black bean soup
adzuki bean soup
yellow split pea
any kind of potato chowder (plain, with cheese and/or broccoli, with peppers, etc.)
Italian chickpea soup
any Thai soup that's coconut milk based

other ideas:
tortilla soup
avgolemono
gazpacho (summer soup!)
a basic "spring vegetable" soup
cream of - broccoli, asparagus, carrot
onion soup

But here's my genius brainstorm marketing idea that I'll give you for free! Smile Since you already have the pizza dough, here's an idea - why not sell the soup in homemade "bread cups"? (shaped, and baked pizza dough) This is an idea I've always thought would be a great one - Customers could drink the soup, and then eat the bowl. No paper or plastic or even biodegradable bowls to deal with ... it would be green, unique, AND delicious!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-22-2011 02:27 PM

oh, and can't forget my all time favorite, cream of mushroom
mushroom & barley is good, too!

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 03-22-2011 08:27 PM

(03-22-2011 08:37 AM)Arden Wrote:  ...here's my genius brainstorm marketing idea that I'll give you for free! Smile Since you already have the pizza dough, here's an idea - why not sell the soup in homemade "bread cups"? (shaped, and baked pizza dough) This is an idea I've always thought would be a great one - Customers could drink the soup, and then eat the bowl. No paper or plastic or even biodegradable bowls to deal with ... it would be green, unique, AND delicious!

Wow, Arden !!! That IS a GENIOUS idea !!!!! We couldn't do those big, traditional bread bowls where they hollow out the loaves cuz there's limited space in a Food Wagon. But the Pizza Bowls would be stackable & take up very little space. Here are pix of some I found 2day:

http://www.applepiepatispate.com/bread/soup-bowl-recipe/

Wonder if they would be toooo labor intensive for a commercial venture...

And is there something in existence that could serve as a mold (other than lining up a bunch of pyrex bowls on a cookie sheet ?) Huh

I had been thinking Pizza Dough breadsticks to go with the soup but YOUR idea is lightyears ahead Exclamation

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-23-2011 07:51 AM

... well, pyrex bowls on a cookie sheet is how I'd go, but that won't work well for large volume, I guess? ...

my advice is to scout around a bit on the intertubes ... I'm sure with the huge plethora of silicone molds they have now for baking, you could find something suitable!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-28-2011 07:16 PM

Well, it's Monday again!
Happy Meatless Monday to ya!!

Of course, every day is meatless at my house, but if you're wondering about this "Meatless Monday" movement ...
or, "Why Monday"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-elam/meatless-monday-why-monday_b_730669.html

even if you love to eat meat, it benefits yourself and the planet to cut back ... so why not give it a try, even if for only one day a week?

Tonight, I tried my hand at making pudla (chickpea pancakes with ginger and crushed peas,) from a Madhur Jaffrey recipe:

[Image: 100_4785.jpg]

I served them with a side of steamed spinach, some sauteed red pepper strips, and a small dollop of cilantro/mint chutney (which was totally unnecessary)

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-04-2011 03:30 PM

Happy meatless Monday, y'all. Tonight, I'm making red bell peppers stuffed with brown rice, barley, lentils, mushrooms and asparagus, seasoned with onions, garlic, and spices. What's for dinner at your house? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-04-2011 09:11 PM

Arden, I bet those stuffed peppers taste AMAZING !!

I tried to reply last week to the Chickpea recipe with a very lonnng heartfelt thing that vanished into cyber-nothingness when I mistakingly hit the wrong button, arggggh. It was late. So I put on my jammies and went to bed.

But I would LOVE to learn to cook with chickpea flour. They sell it at Berkeley Bowl for barely over a dollar a pound. Or I guess I could grind garbanzos in my Vita-mix... Huh

Anyway, I've been VERY busy selling Heirloom Tomato Seedlings to people who had no idea they were gonna buy a tomato plant, ha !!!!

It's impressive what a nice legible sign can accomplish @ a busy intersection, ha !!!!!! Big Grin

I love you, Arden. Thank you for all your your Meatless Monday inspiration !!!!!!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-05-2011 07:17 AM

love you too, Anjil girl

you are amazing all on your own, you don't need me for inspiration!

RE: Meatless Monday - barndweller - 04-05-2011 03:21 PM

thanks for the show today Arden!
We're makin' a little Minestrone for Monday supper
today we're celebrating MM!!
Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-05-2011 03:47 PM

Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - barndweller - 04-11-2011 02:22 PM

I got this recipe from my pal Gino (Luigi) Amalfitano.
He grew up on the coast in Argentina, his parents were from the Amalfi coast of Italy...

pasta patana - a quick version
Italian country style

sauce: some olive oil, 1 tomato paste, 3 small cans tomato sauce,
2 diced fresh tomatoes, garlic, ground pepper,
simmered together long and slow

3 potatoes peeled and cubed
cooked in water 'til almost tender

1 box small penne or shell pasta, cooked al dente

mix all together and simmer for a few minutes on reduced heat
can serve topped with favorite grated cheese....

I wish I could introduce you all to this guy,
He is very smart, somewhat overweight, and speaks his 3rd language to me
in a thick accent and usually says almost exactly opposite what he means

I just love him and have worked with him for over 25 years

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-11-2011 03:13 PM

sounds like a great dish; (though I'm a little perplexed by the 3 small cans of tomato sauce - how small is small?) AND Gino sounds like a really great guy - thanks for sharin', Tom! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-11-2011 03:14 PM

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all! http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Tonight, I've got a pot of 15 Bean Cajun Chili simmering on the stove ... so, what's for dinner at your house? Big Grin

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-11-2011 09:22 PM

(04-11-2011 02:22 PM)barndweller Wrote:  I got this recipe from my pal Gino (Luigi) Amalfitano.
He grew up on the coast in Argentina, his parents were from the Amalfi coast of Italy...

I just love him and have worked with him for over 25 years

Oh that is WONDERFUL, Barn !!!

I love those simple "rustic" recipes !!!!!! They are easy to make and light on the wallet...

Sure would enjoy meeting your friend Luigi !!!!!! Heart

Anyone who says almost exactly opposite what he means is my kinda guy, ha !!!!!!! TongueTongueTongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-11-2011 09:35 PM

(04-11-2011 03:14 PM)Arden Wrote:  Happy Meatless Monday, y'all! http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Tonight, I've got a pot of 15 Bean Cajun Chili simmering on the stove ... so, what's for dinner at your house? Big Grin

That sounds delicious, Arden !!!! I decided to make a comforting soup-type thing 2nite tooo cuz it got cold n' windy when the sun went down.

Plus, I already had a fresh loaf of Flax/Pumpkin seed whole wheat bread ready (thanks to my super-duper bread machine, ha !!!!)

HAPPPY MEATLESS MONDAY, PIGGIES !!!!!! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-11-2011 09:44 PM

yum yum yum
your bread sounds gooooood Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-18-2011 05:55 PM

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all !!!

I am cookin' Mushroom-Artichoke Stuffed Pasta Shells. Trying out a couple different entrees for Easter, guinea pig style (well, sans guinea pig meat; after all this IS Meatless Monday, ha !!)

Doing this AHEAD of time cuz last year I went with an untried recipe from Giada of the Food Network. Made it on Easter morning and realized the stuff totallly sucked, just as my guests were arriving !!!

It was soooo bland, I had to dump a pound of cheese on the concoction just to get my vegetarian extended family even mildly excited about it. Angry

Goes to show, ya can't always predict how goood a recipe's gonna be, even with several hundred Five Star review/ratings...Confused

Anyway, I wanted to make those jumbo stuffed shells, but not with the usual Italian ricotta tomato sauce treatment. I found this recipe online and it sounds gooood:

http://hanielas.blogspot.com/2011/01/mushroom-artichoke-stuffed-pasta-shells.html

I have the filling made and now just gotta stuff them big bad-ass shells. But I can tell you -- the filling is DELICIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!! TongueTongueTongue

RE: Meatless Monday - barndweller - 04-18-2011 07:03 PM

Mango Salsa Pico

2 mangoes, peeled and diced small
1 green apple, diced small
1 gala apple and/or 1 pear, diced small
1 small red onion, diced
handful of chopped cilantro leaves
orange bits
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 seeded and diced cucumber
1 or 2 cloves minced garlic
diced jalapeno (optional)
salt, black pepper

mix all together... serve chilled
nice with yellow rice
or just eat it like salad

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-18-2011 07:10 PM

Wow, Anjil,
I'm excited for you!! Oooooooooh, that sounds SOOOO good!! And, you are VERY smart to try out a company dish ahead of time. I'm with ya, somehing can have a ton of great reviews, but ... ya just never know until you try it yourself ...
what's the other recipe you are tryin' out?

Happy Meatless Monday to y'all! ... tonight I made a shiitake mushroom, black olive and green pea tofu frittata ... with some tomatoes and avo on the side ...
[Image: 100_4894.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-18-2011 07:31 PM

(04-18-2011 07:03 PM)barndweller Wrote:  Mango Salsa Pico

1 small red onion, diced
orange bits
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
salt, black pepper

nice with yellow rice

Oh Barn, that sounds so wonderful and COLORFUL !!!! I bet it's
beautiful and tasty on a buffet table. Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-18-2011 07:55 PM

Arden, I NEEED your recipe for that frittata !!!!!

Not only does it looook extremely delicious, but I also just bought
a #10 can of sliced black olives, so am in dire need of olive uses, ha !!!

Why would I buy a hundred and twenty servings of olives in one can, ya might ask Huh Yeah, I am insane, but there's a better explanation.

Well... at my annual Easter Eggstravaganza Party, we also have a Basket Swap which is just super duper FUN !!!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Everyone makes an unusual and surprising Easter Basket out of recycled stuff or whatever and then we put them on display and after consuming our amazingly delicious dinner, we do a Basket Swap where we hand out numbers and ya get to take home whatever basket that number is...

So. I recently found a book that tells me how to make a really cool Bird Feeder using an empty Number 10 can. Are you familiar with those cans ? They are kinda big. And mine had about a million olives in it 'til I emptied the can into several large containers.

The containers are in the fridge now, awaiting my guidance. Little do they know, I am an anarchist or whatever and have no gooood OLIVE recipes, or even any kind of plan, ha !!!! Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-18-2011 08:25 PM

Oh yeah, Arden, the other dish I'm trying out, I haven't found a good recipe for it yet.

I wanna do stuffed peppers. But I want them to be like the ones the Asian Rose used to serve @ their old cafe a lonnnng time ago. The peppers were fairly large, Anaheims, I think. They put lotsa potatoes, peas, lentils, carrots, curry n' stuff in them. And they were still crunchy, not over-cooked. But there was a coating on the outside, maybe chickpea flour ? And slightly fried but not tooo greasy.

That was my favorite foood in the Universe back in the 1990's Santa Cruz.

When they discontinued them, I threw a big fit !!!! They almost kicked me outtta the restaurant. The guy from Shri Lanka (one of the owners) told me "they are tooooo labor intensive."

It was his Grandma's recipe. Guess she didn't spend a lot of time on Facebook, ha !!!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-18-2011 08:28 PM

(04-18-2011 07:03 PM)barndweller Wrote:  Mango Salsa Pico

1 small red onion, diced
orange bits
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
salt, black pepper

nice with yellow rice

that sounds absolutely delicious! I love fruit salsas, especially with a bit of heat ... spicy and sweet together are so great! Maybe some red AND some green jalapenos? UndecidedBig Grin
I will definitely try this one, thanks, BD! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-18-2011 08:47 PM

(04-18-2011 07:55 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Arden, I NEEED your recipe for that frittata !!!!!

Not only does it looook extremely delicious, but I also just bought
a #10 can of sliced black olives, so am in dire need of olive uses, ha !!!

Why would I buy a hundred and twenty servings of olives in one can, ya might ask Huh Yeah, I am insane, but there's a better explanation.

Well... at my annual Easter Eggstravaganza Party, we also have a Basket Swap which is just super duper FUN !!!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Everyone makes an unusual and surprising Easter Basket out of recycled stuff or whatever and then we put them on display and after consuming our amazingly delicious dinner, we do a Basket Swap where we hand out numbers and ya get to take home whatever basket that number is...

So. I recently found a book that tells me how to make a really cool Bird Feeder using an empty Number 10 can. Are you familiar with those cans ? They are kinda big. And mine had about a million olives in it 'til I emptied the can into several large containers.

The containers are in the fridge now, awaiting my guidance. Little do they know, I am an anarchist or whatever and have no gooood OLIVE recipes, or even any kind of plan, ha !!!! Tongue

I LOVE your family basket swap - what a sweet custom!! And I love your birdfeeder idea! You'll have to post a picture of it befoe you give it away!

I am sure you can come up with many awesome ideas to use those olives ... I so love olives ...

very good in a nice foccacia style bread ...
in pasta sauce - yum!
in tapanades - yum!
keep a small container of chopped olives in the frig, use them throughout the week, throw them over your enchiladas, burritos, into your soups and stir frys, add them to salads, quiches, sandwiches
I think a casserole with scalloped potatoes and olives would be awesome ...

Here's the recipe for the frittata ...

Wild Mushroom & Asparagus Tofu Frittata
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove mincedd garlic
1/2 cup diced yellow onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms of your choice (portabello, shitake, oyster or chanterelle)
1/2 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup olives, chopped or sliced
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 lb fresh silken tofu
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

2. Heat oil in a skillet or saucepan. Saute the garlic, onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until translucent. Add asparagus and a small amount of water and simmer until asparagus is almost tender. Add vinegar and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the olives.

3. Blend the tofu with the salt and turmeric, adding enough water or cooking broth to make a creamy consistency.

4. Fold the vegetable mixture and parsley into the pureed tofu and then into an oiled 9 inch pie dish or pan

5. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is firm and golden brown

6. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving

I had no asparagus, and didn't want to pay $3 a lb for it, so I subbed peas - not the best choice, as they cooked too quickly. Asparagus would have been better. Smile

Just as a side note - although I have been a vegetarian for more than 40 years, this is the first time I have made a vegan frittata, (without any eggs or cheese.) I just wanted to try it, because Whole Foods makes a tofu frittata that is pretty good, surprisingly. So, I tried it, and this came out pretty tasty - different than an eggy frittata - but good. I'm sure you could add a moderate amount of cheese to it, if you desired. Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-18-2011 09:03 PM

(04-18-2011 08:25 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Oh yeah, Arden, the other dish I'm trying out, I haven't found a good recipe for it yet.

I wanna do stuffed peppers. But I want them to be like the ones the Asian Rose used to serve @ their old cafe a lonnnng time ago. The peppers were fairly large, Anaheims, I think. They put lotsa potatoes, peas, lentils, carrots, curry n' stuff in them. And they were still crunchy, not over-cooked. But there was a coating on the outside, maybe chickpea flour ? And slightly fried but not tooo greasy.

That was my favorite foood in the Universe back in the 1990's Santa Cruz.

When they discontinued them, I threw a big fit !!!! They almost kicked me outtta the restaurant. The guy from Shri Lanka (one of the owners) told me "they are tooooo labor intensive."

It was his Grandma's recipe. Guess she didn't spend a lot of time on Facebook, ha !!!!!

ummm, sounds good!
I think you know enough about the recipe, you could improvise the stuffing ... just make a nice lentil potato pea curry to your liking ...
yes, you can coat things in chickpea flour, like they use for pakoras. And, I have also made a "shake and bake" style seasoned chick pea flour, with your typical Indian spices ... cumin, coriander, cilantro, cayenne, you know, whatever you like ... you can coat and roast whatever with that seasoning ...
I think possibly you could prepare the peppers empty, that way they would be easy to keep crispy. Have the prepared stuffing hot and ready to go first, then dip the peppers in your batter, or roll them in your coating, whatever, quick fry or bake them, and set them to cool - when they are cool enough to handle, fill them with the warm stuffing.

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-18-2011 09:19 PM

I think what you want is called Barvan Mirch aka Bharli Mirchi !!! Look!

http://eateastindian.com/blog/want-to-try-veg-stuffed-peppers/44

http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/2007/02/b-is-for-bharli-mirchi.html

http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipes/r/stuffedcapsi.htm

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/07/17/stuffed-bell-peppers-capsicums/

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-19-2011 07:27 PM

(04-18-2011 09:19 PM)Arden Wrote:  I think what you want is called Barvan Mirch aka Bharli Mirchi !!! Look!

Yeah Arden !! I think those are very close !!!!! Different pepper shape but similar stuffing ingredients. The only thing missing is that coating of chickpea flour breading or whatever...

I will try it out. Might work for Sunday !!! My guests would LOVE it. Heart

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-19-2011 08:04 PM

that's where the pakora part comes in
http://www.indiacurry.com/appetizers/jalepenopakora.htm
might be tough without a deep fryer ...

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 04-19-2011 08:38 PM

(04-19-2011 08:04 PM)Arden Wrote:  that's where the pakora part comes in
http://www.indiacurry.com/appetizers/jalepenopakora.htm
might be tough without a deep fryer ...

What a GREAT link !!!!

I especially LOVE the part where it "explodes in your tummy" ha !!!!Smile

Maybe I will have to get/borrow a deep fryer !!!!!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-20-2011 08:17 AM

re: Easter dinner ...
Hubby is making the full "Thanksgiving" experience ... turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, etc.
I am not interested in any of that ...
I'm not sure what I'll make yet, but I was looking at this, thinking it would be a decadent holiday treat ... http://www.food.com/recipe/artichoke-potato-and-cheese-casserole-105649
whaddya think?

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-25-2011 07:45 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!
Just a simple soup tonight ... white bean and vegetable ...
what's for dinner at your house? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-02-2011 06:16 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!
Tonight, I made a barley and azuki bean vegetable stew ...
what's for dinner at your house? Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-02-2011 07:23 PM

Sounds wonderful, Arden !! Barley is one of my favorite grains...Heart In fact, my Bro & I recently duked it out over hulled v.s. unhulled barley, ha !!!!!

I'd LOVE your recipe for the stew...

I just quit work 4 the day so am gonna make a simple n' quick Mongolian BBQ Stir Fry using my handy dandy Mongolian BBQ Master Sauce that I keep in the fridge. I'll throw in a bunch of veggies n' mushrooms and serve it over some short grain organic brown rice.

Also, for the fun factor Im gonnna bake some store-bought Veggie Eggrolls in the oven and whip up a quick dipping sauce (cuz the overly SWEET sauce packet they provide totallly SUCKS !!!!!!!!) Angry

HAPPY MEATLESS MONDAY, PIGGIES !!!!!!!! SmileSmileSmile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-03-2011 07:41 AM

it always sounds like a fun time at your house, Anjil!

No recipe on the barley stew, alas ... I just threw it together Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-09-2011 07:24 PM

Happy Meatless Monday! Simple dinner at our house tonight - boiled baby yukon gold potatoes with chives and butter, steamed broccoli & carrots with red bell pepper strips, gardein brand 7 grain "crispy tenders" with a 'lite' bleu cheese dipping sauce ...

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-16-2011 08:46 PM

Happy Meatless Monday!
http://www.meatlessmonday.com

tonight I made spinach, mushroom and ricotta calzones with spicy basil cabernet marinara sauce ... ummm ...

[Image: 100_5183.jpg]
[Image: 100_5184.jpg]
[Image: 100_5186.jpg]

with strawberry-cherry cobbler for dessert:

[Image: 100_5182.jpg]

what's for dinner at your house?

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-23-2011 08:22 PM

Tonight, we had falafel with all the fixin's ... what's for dinner at your house?
Big Grin
[Image: 100_5239.jpg]
[Image: 100_5237.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-23-2011 08:46 PM

Wow, Arden that is gorgeous and I know it musta tasted awesome !!!!!

Only thing I'd add is some Tzatziki...

Do you make your own Falafel ?

I LOVE that you use red bell peppers in so many of your creations. They are so beautiful and sweeet and vitamin packed !!!!

And isn't it amazing that the TRULY "goood for you" food is so photogenic ?
SmileSmileSmile

Well, it is when YOU take the photos anyway... Tongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-23-2011 10:05 PM

we did have some dressing, it was (not pictured), Wink
I make my own falafel occasionally, but this was bought from a food vendor at Farmer's Market, they are very inexpensive, and very tasty.
I do love red bell peppers ... Smile
thanks for the compliment, BlushBlushBlush I think it helps to have appealing subject matter RolleyesTongue

RE: Meatless Monday - Squealin' - 12-09-2011 06:52 PM

(10-04-2010 12:02 PM)Arden Wrote:  Are you up for the challenge?

We are going meatless everyday. It is wonderful! A little tricky around the holiday but I feel so much better! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 01-02-2012 08:12 PM

Here's a great meatless recipe for ya, Kim ...

"LENTIL SNOBBY JOES"

1 cup uncooked green or brown lentils (don’t use red, they cook too quickly and will turn to mush)

4 cups water

1 TBs olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, finely diced

1 green pepper, finely diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 TBs chili powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup tomato sauce

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 TBs miso

1 TBs wet mustard (I use a brown stoneground, but you can use yellow or whatever you like)

1 TBs sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)

1. Put the lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cook for 20 minutes. Drain, set aside after cooking.

2. In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Add the cooked lentils, chili powder, and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, miso and mustard and stir until thoroughly mixed. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated through.

Serve on your favorite toasted bun or bread, with fixin’s of your choice.

We like this open faced, on a toasted, buttered slice of Beckmann’s French Whole Wheat, or Trader Joe's Multi-Grain British Muffins with sliced avocado and romaine.

Here’s a link to the original recipe, this lady is credited with inventing the term “Snobby Joes",

http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

but there are many other versions out there, this is my personal spin on it
this is a big hit at my house

RE: Meatless Monday - barndweller - 03-12-2012 09:15 PM

all red meat is bad for you

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 03-27-2012 09:00 PM

Tonight, I made Artichoke Veggie Paella. First time I ever made it. It was delicious!
[Image: paella.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 04-10-2012 10:43 AM

(01-02-2012 08:12 PM)Arden Wrote:  Here's a great meatless recipe for ya, Kim ...

"LENTIL SNOBBY JOES"

1 cup uncooked green or brown lentils (don’t use red, they cook too quickly and will turn to mush)

4 cups water

1 TBs olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, finely diced

1 green pepper, finely diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 TBs chili powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup tomato sauce

1/4 cup tomato paste

1 TBs miso

1 TBs wet mustard (I use a brown stoneground, but you can use yellow or whatever you like)

1 TBs sriracha (or your favorite hot sauce)

1. Put the lentils and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, cook for 20 minutes. Drain, set aside after cooking.

2. In a medium saucepan, sauté the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute another minute. Add the cooked lentils, chili powder, and salt and mix. Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, miso and mustard and stir until thoroughly mixed. Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or until thoroughly heated through.

Serve on your favorite toasted bun or bread, with fixin’s of your choice.

We like this open faced, on a toasted, buttered slice of Beckmann’s French Whole Wheat, or Trader Joe's Multi-Grain British Muffins with sliced avocado and romaine.

Here’s a link to the original recipe, this lady is credited with inventing the term “Snobby Joes",

http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/snobby-joes/

but there are many other versions out there, this is my personal spin on it
this is a big hit at my house

WHOO - the bleep - HOO! I just won a contest with this recipe!! It is going to be the featured special on the menu at Wild Thyme Deli for a week, plus I won a $50 gift certificate. Whooo hooo, now it is an AWARD WINNING recipe, so try it today!! Big Grin

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-05-2012 09:47 AM

(03-27-2012 09:00 PM)Arden Wrote:  Tonight, I made Artichoke Veggie Paella. First time I ever made it. It was delicious!
[Image: paella.jpg]

Hey, my recipe, this recipe was featured in an article about artichokes in the Monterey County Weekly! Smile Big Grin Cool
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/weblogs/edible-complex/2012/may/03/artichoke-fetishes-and-the-recipes-that-come-with-/

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-05-2012 08:04 PM

(05-05-2012 09:47 AM)Arden Wrote:  Hey, my recipe, this recipe was featured in an article about artichokes in the Monterey County Weekly! Smile Big Grin Cool
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/weblogs/edible-complex/2012/may/03/artichoke-fetishes-and-the-recipes-that-come-with-/

Congratulations Arden. You are worthy of this and much more for all your artistic and delectable foood creations !!!!! Have you started a food blog ? Or maybe you don't have time... I would definitely be one of your subscribers if you did !!!!! HeartHeartHeart

Your spin on Food is different, ingenious & healthy !!!!!

Oh did I mention creative and extremely photogenic ? SmileSmileSmile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-06-2012 06:12 AM

(05-05-2012 08:04 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Congratulations Arden. You are worthy of this and much more for all your artistic and delectable foood creations !!!!! Have you started a food blog ? Or maybe you don't have time... I would definitely be one of your subscribers if you did !!!!! HeartHeartHeart

Your spin on Food is different, ingenious & healthy !!!!!

Oh did I mention creative and extremely photogenic ? SmileSmileSmile

Thank you, and it's good to hear from you, Anjil. Smile

nah, not only do I not have time, but there are also so many folks who food blog already who do it so very well ... I can't compete with professional chefs

but thanks!! I miss hearing about your meatless meals, it's been a while Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-06-2012 06:35 AM

Okay, just cause I'm happy someone is actually reading these posts, I'll give ya a belated Sinko de Mayo prezzie ...

Who's your buddy? Who's your pal?

Just cause I love ya, and also because Cinco de Mayo is a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo-holiday, I offer you a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe - ha!

This is my version of Nacho Cheese Sauce that has no nasty plastic velveeta, no artificial orange color, no msg or food starch ... and it's even got the right creamy consistency and color ... it's good!

Nacho Cheese Sauce, It's Mine

ingredients:

1½ tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon corn starch

½ cup nonfat evaporated milk

1 ounce cream cheese, cubed

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1/4 cup Pepper Jack, shredded

1½ teapoons sriracha

1 tablespoon paprika

NOTE:

Put cheddar and jack cheese in freezer before you begin. Very cold cheese is easier to grate, and will grate more finely. Do not use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe, as it contains an anti-caking agent that prevents the cheese from melting smoothly.

1. Make a roux by melting butter over a medium low flame in heavy bottomed pan. Whisk in cornstarch. Whisk in evaporated milk, bit by bit, until creamy.

2. Add cream cheese, whisk until cream cheese is thoroughly melted and completely incorporated.

3. Add shredded jack and cheddar cheeses, stir briskly over low heat until completely melted. Add sriracha and paprika, stir until thoroughly blended, and color is even.

Serve immediately while warm.

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-07-2012 10:22 PM

Arden wrote:
"Just cause I love ya, and also because Cinco de Mayo is a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo-holiday, I offer you a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe - ha!"

Oh Arden, you got me laughing so hard I almost fell outta my chair, ha !!!!! TongueTongueTongue

Thank YOU for that recipe. It is cheesy without being cheezy...

I have everything on board to put it 2gether 'cept the Pepper Jack.

Should I try it with the plain ol' Monterey Jack I have in the fridge ?
Would that work if I add some minced jalapeños or a roasted poblano ?

I WANT THAT NACHO SAUCE ON MY LIPS RIGHT NOW !!!! (but yeah, of course--not on my hips where that kinda stuff eventually migrates to, ha !!!!!) SmileCoolSmile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-08-2012 09:41 PM

Hey Arden, do you ever make Tamale Pie ?

My mechanically inclined Bro-in-Law recently came over to resurrect my truck from the dead. His miracle worked perfectly and all he would take for payment of services was a nice vegetarian lunch (he's been a veggie head for at least 20 years...)

So. I thought of the Tamale Pie my Momma taught me to make... Smile

But it had beef and I don't even know how to cook with that stuff anymore... Huh So I used Soyrizo for the protein and the Tamale Pie turned out AWESOME !!! I could tell that my Bro-in-Law liked it alot. Tongue

I'm thinking that your "cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe" for Nacho cheese sauce could be a perfect addition just below the top polenta or masa layer of my pie... Exclamation

So. I will try it soooon and report back... Shy Thank you, Arden !!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-09-2012 12:58 PM

Hi, Anjil,

yes, I do make tamale pie on occasion. I have a great recipe I really like that has you make your filling in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop, then you pour the cornbread batter over the top, and finish it off in the oven. I usually sub beans & some olives for the meat, as I'm not the world's biggest soyrizo fan, but I can see where that would be very tasty and work well, too!!

the other night, I decided to take a basic tamale pie recipe, and change all the seasoning to Italian instead of Mexican ... y'know, lots of basil oregano rosemary garlic rather than chili powder, cilantro cumin jalapenos - then I simply called it "Italian Polenta Pie", and yes, it was delicious! Smile Smile Smile

that recipe for nacho sauce is really good - it would be GREAT with tamale pie!!

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-09-2012 12:59 PM

(05-07-2012 10:22 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Arden wrote:
"Just cause I love ya, and also because Cinco de Mayo is a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo-holiday, I offer you a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe - ha!"

Oh Arden, you got me laughing so hard I almost fell outta my chair, ha !!!!! TongueTongueTongue

Thank YOU for that recipe. It is cheesy without being cheezy...

I have everything on board to put it 2gether 'cept the Pepper Jack.

Should I try it with the plain ol' Monterey Jack I have in the fridge ?
Would that work if I add some minced jalapeños or a roasted poblano ?

I WANT THAT NACHO SAUCE ON MY LIPS RIGHT NOW !!!! (but yeah, of course--not on my hips where that kinda stuff eventually migrates to, ha !!!!!) SmileCoolSmile

sure, of course, why not? experiment! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-09-2012 01:05 PM

Okay, and in other food news - tomorrow, May 10th, one day only, one of my recipes is being featured on a "specials board" for a promotion run by Wild Thyme Deli and Café in Marina. http://www.wildthymedeli.com/

They run a special every 10th of the month - two dinners, for two people, for only 10 bucks!

such a deal! But it's a one day deal only, and they are only open for breakfast and lunch, close at 5 pm, so you have to call in ahead of time and order take-out if you want it for dinner.

SO, if you are anywhere near Marina, and looking for a tasty, healthy and inexpensive dinner tomorrow night, check it out!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150927350235288&set=a.260677480287.182906.259412940287&type=1&theater

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-21-2012 08:17 PM

Happy Meatless Monday, Piggies !!! It's homemade pasta night...

[Image: HomemadePastaPhoto.jpg]

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-26-2012 12:09 PM

what a beautiful sight, Anjil!! and what a lovely picture, love the composition. feels so warm, homey and inviting! and I'm sure it was super delicious, too! Smile
I haven't made homemade pasta in a while ...

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-28-2012 06:00 PM

[Image: CardForArden.jpg]
Happy Meatless Monday Piggies !!! Veggie Burgers in the backyard @ Anjil's place... Hmmmm, maybe a Longboard Lager on the side... Beer
Glad you had a gooood B-day dinner, Arden !!! Gonna have to try that place sooooon... Smile What dishes do you recommend ? Huh

RE: Meatless Monday - Arden - 05-28-2012 06:35 PM

Hi, Anjil, and thanks for the bday wishes, I love my card ... Smile

re: bday dinner, first time I had ever been there, so I can only tell ya I liked everything I got
their veggie menu is fairly extensive
http://shunfengrestaurant.net/about.asp
I had your basic eggrolls, very fresh tasting - lots of celery in them, which was good
I also had their black pepper vegi-chikn brown fried rice ... lots of sweet onion, green pepper and celery in the rice, which was nice, not very spicy, though, although it was advertised as such
Also had the bean curd and broccoli in Szechuan sauce, delicious
lots of leftovers for the-day-after-birthday lunch, too! Smile

RE: Meatless Monday - Anjil - 05-28-2012 07:39 PM

Wow Arden, they reallly do have a VAST veggie menu !!! (wish every place did...) So. I'll have the number 143 and 145. Can you tell I HeartHeartHeart noooodles ???

Okay better toss in some 123 for gooood measure, ha !!!!!

Glad you had some leftovers. Always nice to re-experience a lovely meal, especially one that reheats well... Smile