Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Vintage Squeals for September, 2009
webhog Offline
Bit Mangler

Star Vintage Squeals for September, 2009
yup, its that time of month again, lets start a new thread...

(otherwise, they just get too long and gum things up)

carry on! Fly
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2009 01:21 AM by webhog.)
09-01-2009 04:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Brother Ralphie Offline
A Voice Crying Out In The Wilderness

RE: Fresh Squeals....
Mmmmm, smell those Fresh Squeals! Smile

Ralphie's Ramblings
09-01-2009 05:52 AM
Find all posts by this user
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

Ahhhhh ....fresh mud in the sty again

Good mornin swinezez, Good Mornin Ralph

"Music is the most powerful thing on this earth, and it's hard to be angry when you are listening to music. "
Jerry Reed
09-01-2009 06:11 AM
Brother Ralphie Offline

Just got this email from Down Home Music, one of our sponsors up in the S.F. Bay area...

FROM DOWN HOME MUSIC

Hi All,

NEW HOURS AT DOWN HOME MUSIC

Down Home Music, a Bay Area institution now for 33 and 1/3 years, has been consistently promoting great roots music locally and from around the world since 1976. This past (record) year, Down Homes founder Chris Strachwitz
turned 78 (that most perfect of speeds) and together with staff, hopes to continue spinning musical magic for loyal fans & new devotees alike.

Facing the economic reality that so many of us are forced to limit our spending on music and entertainment in order to pay the bills, we are in turn, forced to cut back on days and hours of operation at the store. In this time of growing computer downloads and tax free Amazon sales, the retail music business is in turmoil. It's becoming increasingly difficult for an independent record store like Down Home to maintain its historic level of service and breadth of inventory. We are being starved to death and MUST reduce expenses to survive, as times are getting tougher than tough!

So as of Monday September 14th, 2009, our new hours will be:
OPEN: Thursday 11 AM-6PM, Friday & Saturday 11 AM-7PM, & Sunday 11AM-6PM.
CLOSED: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.
We might be available by phone (510) 525-2129) on the three weekdays we are closed, but PLEASE be sure to adjust your schedules to visit us Thursdays through Sundays.

Also, we will announce our new hours for the holidays as soon as possible.

Our continued goal is to do everything we can to bring you GREAT MUSIC on a LOCAL LEVEL. If you have ideas or suggestions on how we can keep on keeping on, please let us know by e-mail, phone, or just stop by the store.
There will be an open house to discuss the plight of independent record stores next month on Saturday, September 5th at 2:00 p.m. So come on in with your ideas and support, as we all face these difficult times together. Tell your friends, keep the music spinning, and remember to always be as down home as you can be.

Your friends at Down Home Music

Ralphie's Ramblings
09-01-2009 07:58 AM
Cynth The Poet Away
Just Plain Ol' Cynthia

That's bad news, Ralphie. The thing about "tax free sales" online, though, is that we actually are supposed to declare and pay "use tax" on our California Income Tax returns--though my sense is that very few actually do. I think I'm one of a handful of folks who actually go through the trouble of reviewing all my online sales that did not have taxes added to them, and I declare and pay them.

I would think that more folks in this state would get busted for this. I haven't heard much of anything about the FTB enforcing use taxes--which are supposed to be based on however much the current local sales tax is regardless of how much it was during the tax year. Not very fair, but that's what they say on the tax returns.

Maybe if we let everyone know that those who don't buy from local merchants are required to pay tax for so-called "tax-free" sales, then they may want to stop buying online just enough to pump money back into places such as Down Home Music. Besides, do we really want to hope that our Musician's Friend purchases get to us intact and undamaged via UPS? (My step-bro works as a semi driver for UPS, so I can feel guiltless for saying the truth about UPS cause it's not exactly as if he never knew what happens when our packages travel en route.)

Getting a quality musical instrument from a local merchant is a wonderful thing. After a couple of bad experiences ordering instruments online, I have given up on that. I'll save up my money and buy local the next time I need something I have to use in a performance or recording setting. That, and you can't get decent instrument repair work done online.

I hope all the best for our local merchants. They deserve our patronage.

"I'll sleep when I'm dead." -- Warren Zevon Confused
09-01-2009 08:48 AM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

Good Morning Folks. Lovely day down here by the coast. The PIG is pounding out some great tunes, Thanks Ralphie.
I'm heading to the post office to ship some of those TAX FREE goods to Australia. But before I go...

Today's thought: Stupidity is NOT a handicap! Park somewhere else.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
09-01-2009 08:55 AM
KD Offline
Piglet

[Image: kpigstudio.jpg]
09-01-2009 09:46 AM
Brother Ralphie Offline

That's just how the studio looks from 8PM to 6AM....empty. Sad

Ralphie's Ramblings
09-01-2009 09:53 AM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

GOOD DAY Ralphie!
PRAISE THE LARD!

09-01-2009 10:03 AM
Cynth The Poet Away
Just Plain Ol' Cynthia

Like I said before, it's not "tax free" if you get it from the Internet. However, sending it off to Australia will get you off the hook in the eyes of the FTB.

Quote:You may owe use tax on purchases you made from out-of-state or Internet sellers. Use tax is similar to the sales tax paid on purchases you make in California. You may report use tax on your income tax return instead of filing a use tax return with the State Board of Equalization. To report use tax on your income tax return, use the Use Tax Worksheet in the tax booklet.

In general, you must pay California use tax if you purchase an item out-of-state (for example, by telephone, over the Internet, by mail, or in person) and

* The seller does not collect California sales or use tax, and
* You use, give away, store, or consume the item in this state.

To determine the amount of use tax you owe:

1. Add the amount of all purchases made from out-of-state or Internet sellers made without payment of California Sales/Use tax. Include only items on which you would have paid sales tax if you had purchased them in California. See the Board of Equalization Website for more information on taxable items.
2. Look up the use tax rate for the location where you used, gave away, stored, or consumed the items you purchased.
3. Multiply the amount by the use tax rate.
4. Subtract any sales or use tax you paid to another state for the items you purchased.
5. Enter this amount.

Do not report the following on your income tax return:

* Vehicles, vessels, and trailers that must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
* Mobile homes or commercial coaches that must be registered annually as required by the Health and Safety Code.
* Vessels documented with the U.S. Coast Guard.
* Aircraft.
* Leases of machinery, equipment, vehicles, and other tangible personal property.

So you're off the hook, clockdoctor. That is, as long as you're sending to anyplace outside of California. Wink

09-01-2009 10:14 AM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

Yep, Internet sales have been steady. Making up for the lack of sales here in the store. In general, income is down. Even the repair service we offer has dropped off. And those that do bring them in and authorize the work, are slow in picking them up. A sign of the times. I'm patient.

09-01-2009 11:17 AM
Cynth The Poet Away
Just Plain Ol' Cynthia

I went to the local Apple Store to get a copy of Snow Leopard for my Mac Mini, and love how everything is faster. However, they haven't fixed the bug in QuickTime that causes the stream to go all the way back to the beginning after a couple of hours. I was still hearing stuff from two hours ago before checking back with the KPIG homepage and noticed that it wasn't playing Warren Zevon. Confused

09-01-2009 01:22 PM
pigpappy Offline
Purveyor of Preowned Pork

The Problem With Elvis
Jerry Lee Lewis rocked his ass off! And mine! And there were others. Little Richard may have thought he had to be outrageous because he was black and he wanted to make an impression, or he might have just been that weird on his own, but the little guy just fucking rocked his ass off whenever he played! Good lord, he acted like he was crazy, but he rocked so hard!

Eddie Cochran rocked, and so did Chuck Berry. Fats Domino was rocking way before Elvis, but black singers from New Orleans would never make it onto the national charts, which also meant that we never heard much from Huey “Piano” Smith and no one outside of the black community knew what Ike Turner was up to yet. And there were others, which was a real loss for us white kids at the time. Have you heard the original recording of one of Elvis’ first hits? Have you heard Big Mama Thornton’s original recording of “Hound Dog”? My God, does it rock! Although I don’t think it was rock ‘n’ roll yet. I think there was just a little… too… much… Gospel in it, and that and she was an overweight middle-aged black woman couldn’t have helped. There was so much rock in her recording, but the beat came from handclaps, not drums, so I think it rocks, but it wasn’t Rock.

Unkle Sherman
Yer Purveyor Of Pre-Owned Pork
Prohairesis Redneckus
09-01-2009 02:34 PM
barndweller Offline
bewildered listener

(09-01-2009 02:34 PM)pigpappy Wrote:  The Problem With Elvis
Jerry Lee Lewis rocked his ass off! And mine! And there were others. Little Richard may have thought he had to be outrageous because he was black and he wanted to make an impression, or he might have just been that weird on his own, but the little guy just fucking rocked his ass off whenever he played! Good lord, he acted like he was crazy, but he rocked so hard!

Eddie Cochran rocked, and so did Chuck Berry. Fats Domino was rocking way before Elvis, but black singers from New Orleans would never make it onto the national charts, which also meant that we never heard much from Huey “Piano” Smith and no one outside of the black community knew what Ike Turner was up to yet. And there were others, which was a real loss for us white kids at the time. Have you heard the original recording of one of Elvis’ first hits? Have you heard Big Mama Thornton’s original recording of “Hound Dog”? My God, does it rock! Although I don’t think it was rock ‘n’ roll yet. I think there was just a little… too… much… Gospel in it, and that and she was an overweight middle-aged black woman couldn’t have helped. There was so much rock in her recording, but the beat came from handclaps, not drums, so I think it rocks, but it wasn’t Rock.

yeah sherm, yer post is the kind of stuff I hang around here for...

talk to me little box

09-01-2009 04:22 PM
barndweller Offline
bewildered listener

(09-01-2009 09:53 AM)Brother Ralphie Wrote:  That's just how the studio looks from 8PM to 6AM....empty. Sad

mother father cocker spaniel, like why can't we
get the lizard to put yer unkle on for some of that?

The doctor told me, ‘Boy, you don't need no pills
Just a handful of nickels - a jukebox'll cure your ills.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2009 04:46 PM by barndweller.)
09-01-2009 04:35 PM
pigpappy Offline

(09-01-2009 04:35 PM)barndweller Wrote:  mother father cocker spaniel, like why can't we
get the lizard to put yer unkle on for some of that?

The doctor told me, ‘Boy, you don't need no pills
Just a handful of nickels - a jukebox'll cure your ills.

Gracias Senor Barn,
How was the todo at Aikos<SP>

Unkle Sherman
Prohairesis Redneckus
09-01-2009 05:26 PM
barndweller Offline
bewildered listener

(09-01-2009 05:26 PM)pigpappy Wrote:  Gracias Senor Barn,
How was the todo at Aikos<SP>

muy caliente y mucho compadres amigo
¿Dónde estuvo usted?
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2009 05:34 PM by barndweller.)
09-01-2009 05:30 PM
pigpappy Offline

(09-01-2009 05:30 PM)barndweller Wrote:  muy caliente y mucho compadres amigo
¿Dónde estuvo usted?

Whud?
I don't speak french all that muy bein.

Unkle Sherman
Prohairesis Redneckus
09-01-2009 06:21 PM
HiRes Offline
lost soul

Nice spinnin' Ms Vic

Don't think I ever heard that Lyle Lovett cover of "Friend of the Devil"

Diggin' the tunage here in PG on the Monty Ray Bay
09-01-2009 07:35 PM
HiRes Offline
lost soul

(09-01-2009 06:21 PM)pigpappy Wrote:  Whud?
I don't speak french all that muy bein.

Ptichurs & MUCH more in the backsty Pap
09-01-2009 07:37 PM
Thread Closed