Happy holiday weekend. Smile
07-03-2010 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

RE: Fresh Squeals for July!
Good morning/afta'noon, pigs and pigalettas! Smile

How be you today, Mz. A.?
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2010 10:12 AM by Monica.)
07-03-2010 10:08 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

I'm doin' okay, Monica
How's by you?
07-03-2010 10:23 AM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

Doin' fine here, too. Made a trip to the farmer's market with Bill this morning. Brought back some goodies. I am always so excited to go there and so happy we have such a vibrant market. Well, actually many but this is the largest.

Any plans for your weekend, dear?
07-03-2010 10:26 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Glad you had a good morning at Farmer's market, that's always fun. Smile
Plans for me this weekend? Nope, not really, I plan on keepin' a low profile. I just don't have the energy to work AND party, lol! Commuting back and forth, an' doin' my job are gonna keep me busy enough ...
what about you? fireworks? music? cookout? family? friends?
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2010 10:33 AM by Arden.)
07-03-2010 10:32 AM
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

(07-03-2010 09:01 AM)tongue_thaied Wrote:  Germany 4, Argentina 0. Mueller and Friedrich, I could kiss you guys.

Put that in your vuvuzela and smoke it!
07-03-2010 10:33 AM
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

Goooooooooood mornin Arden and Monica,

Full blown June gloom here in LA--will likely clear out this afternoon--not complainin'-keeps it from breaking 90 this time of year.

I live in a city that still allows "safe and sane" fireworks, but that just means that is where ya go to fire off the high power illegal stuff you buy from the local dealer or get in Nevada. I'll be on fire watch all weekend. It's not too bad until the alcohol gets mixed with the explosives.
07-03-2010 10:39 AM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

(07-03-2010 10:32 AM)Arden Wrote:  Glad you had a good morning at Farmer's market, that's always fun. Smile
Plans for me this weekend? Nope, not really, I plan on keepin' a low profile. I just don't have the energy to work AND party, lol! Commuting back and forth, an' doin' my job are gonna keep me busy enough ...
what about you? fireworks? music? cookout? family? friends?

Nothing really here, either. Monday is our anniversary so we both took the day off to have a long weekend together.

It's raining here and probably will be most of the weekend. It's a nice gently steady rain with no thunderstorms. Reminds me of our tenth anniversary when we went camping at the Buffalo River Natl. Park in Arkansas.

That's okay coz I have two dozen ears of the best corn ever to clean and freeze for winter and lots of other things to do around here.
07-03-2010 10:40 AM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

(07-03-2010 10:39 AM)Pretender Wrote:  Goooooooooood mornin Arden and Monica,

Full blown June gloom here in LA--will likely clear out this afternoon--not complainin'-keeps it from breaking 90 this time of year.

I live in a city that still allows "safe and sane" fireworks, but that just means that is where ya go to fire off the high power illegal stuff you buy from the local dealer or get in Nevada. I'll be on fire watch all weekend. It's not too bad until the alcohol gets mixed with the explosives.

Howdy, Jack! Another reason I'm glad it's raining this weekend. It's illegal to even possess fireworks in the city of Tulsa, so folks buy them and bring them out to our rural area and fire them off. Big fire danger some years when it's been hot and dry.

You gonna do anything special this weekend?
07-03-2010 10:42 AM
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

(07-03-2010 10:42 AM)Monica Wrote:  Howdy, Jack! Another reason I'm glad it's raining this weekend. It's illegal to even possess fireworks in the city of Tulsa, so folks buy them and bring them out to our rural area and fire them off. Big fire danger some years when it's been hot and dry.

You gonna do anything special this weekend?

Nope, not really-just watch the crazies blow stuff up--might have the grandkids around some-not sure about that. We usually just stick close to home, especially when the explosions start--freaks the little dogs out and they really need a lap to worry in.Confused
07-03-2010 10:46 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Good morning, Jack!
Even the "safe and sane" fireworks are banned here - I think there are 6 cities total in Monterey & Santa Cruz counties combined where fireworks are legal.
In my opinion,it's a pretty standard rule-of-thumb that alcohol and any activity that requires clear thinking don't mix well.
07-03-2010 10:49 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(07-03-2010 10:40 AM)Monica Wrote:  Nothing really here, either. Monday is our anniversary so we both took the day off to have a long weekend together.

It's raining here and probably will be most of the weekend. It's a nice gently steady rain with no thunderstorms. Reminds me of our tenth anniversary when we went camping at the Buffalo River Natl. Park in Arkansas.

That's okay coz I have two dozen ears of the best corn ever to clean and freeze for winter and lots of other things to do around here.

Monday is a legal holiday, anyway - most places are closed.
and a very happy anniversary to you and Bill!!
the rain must be a relief after all the high temps you've had!
the corn sounds delicious
throw in some of your incredible homemade ice-cream, sounds like you've got the makings of a wonderful weekend
07-03-2010 10:52 AM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

If it weren't for our anniversary, I probably would have still worked Monday with the option to take it off if I wanted to since it fell on a Sunday this year.

It is such a relief but it makes the house very damp. We are trying not to turn the AC on today and have all the windows and doors open. We got a small pie pumpkin and a Sunshine Kobucha. Bill is going to bake them and make pies out of them so we can compare them side by side. We got them from my friend Stephen's stall at the market. His farm is very close to our place. He wanted to give us the pumpkin in exchange for Bill's pie recipe but I wouldn't let him. He is collecting local recipes for his blog.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2010 10:59 AM by Monica.)
07-03-2010 10:59 AM
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

(07-03-2010 10:49 AM)Arden Wrote:  Good morning, Jack!
Even the "safe and sane" fireworks are banned here - I think there are 6 cities total in Monterey & Santa Cruz counties combined where fireworks are legal.
In my opinion,it's a pretty standard rule-of-thumb that alcohol and any activity that requires clear thinking don't mix well.

Yep-mixin alcohol with just about anything including ice, usually results in bad things happening. We used to have a city-approved block party on the 4th, but a few years back there was what I call "that year" where we had hundreds of people, lots of illegal fireworks, and lots of kegs. Resulted in cops, fire department, city trucks and more showing up to sweep the street clean of people and stuff. Six arrests, a couple of beat-downs by the cops (well-deserved, by the way), and now our block is on the "No Way" list forever. I don't mind at all--it was really out of control. It's now back to a relatively small thing with just a few people getting the safe and sane-type stuff which the little kids like just fine and only moderate drinking.
07-03-2010 11:00 AM
Shel Offline
Piglet

fireworks, I hate them too. The dog especially hates them. but the fireworks will happen in the bay. there is oil in the bay, we were wondering, should a spark hit the oil, will it catch fire? will the bay catch on fire? wow! that would be awesome! (yes, that was cynical but still awesome!)
hope all swine are fine, got to get back to cleaning the kitchen. Had some work done in the kitchen and there is a fine layer of sheetrock dust on and in EVERYTHING.
I will leave you with this one recipe (cause it is Arden on that allows such things, hehe) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...uce-359752
it sounds yum, I'll let ya know!
07-03-2010 11:05 AM
Squealin' Offline
Save The Pig

(07-03-2010 10:49 AM)Arden Wrote:  Good morning, Jack!

The beaches in Santa Cruz are like the wild west on the 4th of July. I stay away from ALL of the beaches! It is scary!ConfusedConfused

Malama pono!
07-03-2010 11:10 AM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

Wow, Jack! That sounds like it got totally outta control. Were people outside the neighborhood just wandering into your area or was it a city-sponsored thing? Sane sounds much better to me.

Shel! Good to see you! What did you do in the kitchen? Some remodeling? Hope you are doing well down there. So sorry about the oil, sweetie. It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to think about the damage that's been done and is yet to come.

Howdy, Kim. What's going on at your house and how is Toto?
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2010 11:21 AM by Monica.)
07-03-2010 11:13 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(07-03-2010 11:10 AM)Squealin Wrote:  The beaches in Santa Cruz are like the wild west on the 4th of July. I stay away from ALL of the beaches! It is scary!ConfusedConfused

Howdy, Kim! Smile

there will be some pretty hefty fines for anyone stupid enough to set of fireworks on any Santa Cruz beach - strictly prohibited this year!
http://www.kionrightnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12734818
07-03-2010 11:19 AM
Squealin' Offline
Save The Pig

(07-03-2010 11:13 AM)Monica Wrote:  Wow, Jack! That sounds like it got totally outta control. Were people outside the neighborhood just wandering into your area or was it a city-sponsored thing? Sane sounds much better to me.

Shel! Good to see you! What did you do in the kitchen? Some remodeling? Hope you are doing well down there. So sorry about the oil, sweetie. It makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to think about the damage that's been done and is yet to come.

Good mornin' Monica, Shel ,Gary and Fine Swine DJ, Arden.SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Monica, It makes me sick too. I just want to cry. It is not an oil "spill" it is an ongoing gusher. Nobody knows when it will stop.Angry

Malama pono!
07-03-2010 11:21 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(07-03-2010 11:05 AM)Shel Wrote:  fireworks, I hate them too. The dog especially hates them. but the fireworks will happen in the bay. there is oil in the bay, we were wondering, should a spark hit the oil, will it catch fire? will the bay catch on fire? wow! that would be awesome! (yes, that was cynical but still awesome!)
hope all swine are fine, got to get back to cleaning the kitchen. Had some work done in the kitchen and there is a fine layer of sheetrock dust on and in EVERYTHING.
I will leave you with this one recipe (cause it is Arden on that allows such things, hehe) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/v...uce-359752
it sounds yum, I'll let ya know!

Howdy, Shelley-Belle

Wow, why didn't BP think of that as a clean-up solution?! Just BURN the whole frickin'thing!! Sheeeeeesh ...
Earlier this week, I saw a NASA photo of the oilspill from outer space - really scary ...
what did you have done in the kitchen?
I posted my fav 4th recipe here ...
http://squeals.kpig.com/showthread.php?tid=300

yours looks great, what will you put it on?
07-03-2010 11:26 AM
Thread Closed