Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Healthy Stuff or Whatever
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

Healthy Stuff or Whatever
Hey Arden, I saw in the general squeals that your doctor has given you a new eating plan ? And you're kinda sad about it or whatever ??

What is the plan ? Huh I always like to try out new healthy ideas...

Geez, I get on a new health kick every other month it seeems, ha !!!!

As of last Monday, I jumped on the magnesium bandwagon. My heart was beating realllly strange. And having no medical insurance, I had to figure the thing out myself. HuhUndecidedHuh

Everything I loooked at online pointed to magnesium deficiency. Confused

Well I found out real quick which fooods have lotsa magnesium in 'em... And it was definitely a quick fix cuz I feel 1000% better now.

And my heart beats kinda normal 'cept when I dwell tooo much on my new living arrangements, ha !!!!!! (yeah, stress is apparently a big factor tooooo.) Smile

Oh here's an update: http://www.chelationtherapyonline.com/anatomy/p56.htm

I just read this and it was a real eye opener. Can't wait to show it to my friend who has an inexplicable & unsolvable thyroid problem.

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2010 08:37 PM by Anjil.)
08-22-2010 07:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arden Offline
your friend

RE: Healthy Stuff or Whatever
Anjil,
it's just a severe diet ...

basically, I'm just on an extremely low carb, no sugar, very low fat, virtually no dairy, no eggs (egg whites okay) regime ...

I already was eating fairly healthy - no sugar, whole grain, vegetarian ... but he says I have to give up cheese, and cut my carbs waaaaay back ...

I am allowed a 1/2 cup of whole grain carbs for breakfast, same for dinner, ZERO carbs for lunch - for lunch and dinner, the majority of the meal is supposed to be filled up with (low carb) veg ... I can add some tofu, he says (since am not interested in eating fish) ... the only kind of cheese I can have is a spoonful of dry cheese like parmesan to occasionally sprinkle on. No cheese, no eggs, nuts and beans are to be eaten sparingly. So, a lot of my veggie mainstays, mexican meals, italian meals, egg dishes, pasta and rice based casseroles, etc etc etc are all out.
I asked if I could have 2 oz of cheese with 4 whole grain crackers for a snack. He said, no, a half a piece of fruit and a few nuts. I asked if I could have fruit and yogurt for breakfast, he said, no, if you have yogurt, it is non fat, and you stir a tablespoon in your cereal.
It is a harsh plan. You don't need to do this.
08-22-2010 09:45 PM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

I really don't understand how beans and nuts can't be good for you.

I know a lot of vegetarians tend to overdo the dairy thing and could cut back on the cheese, but I don't see how 6 oz of yogurt with some fruit and granola would hurt ANYBODY.

And good local eggs from chickens, truly free range not just "cage free", have a diet of lots of grasses and bugs as they range. Their eggs are much lower in cholesterol than regular eggs.

I mean everything should probably be eaten in moderation but to cut back so drastically on some of these things seems ridiculous, really draconian, ya know?
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2010 05:02 PM by Monica.)
08-23-2010 05:01 PM
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

(08-22-2010 09:45 PM)Arden Wrote:  Anjil,
it's just a severe diet ...

I am allowed a 1/2 cup of whole grain carbs for breakfast, same for dinner, ZERO carbs for lunch -
It is a harsh plan.

Wow, that does sound Draconian, as Monica says. At least in the severity of it; but not cruel if the end result is going to be gooood. Maybe you could view it as some kind of Gastronomical Boot Camp Huh

You'll probably rise to the challenge cuz you are strong & smart & creative !!! And so inspired in allll those great veggie recipes you concoct. Smile

Plus, once you've gotten it down to a routine, you can probably advise others who get "sentenced" with a special diet like that !!! You probably don't have time to blog the great results you're going to get but if you did, that would be wonderful toooo... Heart

I've been on very low carb diets several times. It totally alleviates my hypoglycemia. The one big annoyance I found was that I had to steer clear of ANY place that exuded a sugary bakery smell because that made me almost faint with desire. So just don't go there.

Mushrooooms and Spinach and Soy Sauce RULE !!!!!!!
Artichokes and Egg Whites and Garlic RULE !!!!!!!
Tomatoes and Zucchini and Cajun Spice RULE !!!!!!

...sorrrry for being corny, just trying to give you a little pep talk. Smile

Love to you Arden,
-from Anjil

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
08-23-2010 08:05 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Anjil girl, you got the jist of the situation, all right! Smile
Thanks for the pep talk, NOT corny, very sweet!!! Smile
08-24-2010 09:30 AM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

Anjil has the right attitude. I didn't mean to be discouraging in any way. Still just makes me want to say, "Damn!" though. Wink
08-26-2010 05:23 PM
starshyyn Away
pig

(08-23-2010 05:01 PM)Monica Wrote:  I really don't understand how beans and nuts can't be good for you.

Sometimes, it's about a balance that is right for your body. Hormones and cortisol and how these are affected by such carbs comes into play.

Most diets, no matter how strict, eventually lead you back to a healthy way of living that is doable for a lifetime.

Good luck to you, Arden. Ultimately, good health is the goal. I wish you the success in reaching that goal.

Anjil -- thanks for that link on magnesium. Very interesting.... sometimes, I take a supplement, Cal-Mag, before I go to sleep at night. It helps me to wind down and enjoy a more restful sleep.
09-01-2010 10:21 AM
Cynth The Poet Away
Just Plain Ol' Cynthia

I recently got a book downloaded to my Kindle that has to do with something called "The Blood Type Diet" and since my blood type is A the book advised me to cut out all fatty red meat (and of course pork products/by-products) and to eat a mostly vegetarian diet.

So far, I have lost nearly ten pounds. What I love is that my blood sugar is under control and I am feeling stronger. Of course, I was not given this diet by a doctor but I will share this with her next time I see her.

"I'll sleep when I'm dead." -- Warren Zevon Confused
09-02-2010 11:29 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(09-01-2010 10:21 AM)starshyyn Wrote:  Most diets, no matter how strict, eventually lead you back to a healthy way of living that is doable for a lifetime.

Good luck to you, Arden. Ultimately, good health is the goal. I wish you the success in reaching that goal.

thanks, CA
09-08-2010 03:25 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(09-02-2010 11:29 AM)Cynth The Poet Wrote:  I recently got a book downloaded to my Kindle that has to do with something called "The Blood Type Diet" and since my blood type is A the book advised me to cut out all fatty red meat (and of course pork products/by-products) and to eat a mostly vegetarian diet.

So far, I have lost nearly ten pounds. What I love is that my blood sugar is under control and I am feeling stronger. Of course, I was not given this diet by a doctor but I will share this with her next time I see her.

Eliminating meat from your diet is, (generally speaking,) a lot healthier for ANYone, regardless of blood type. A huge body of scientific research shows that the consumption of a diet of whole grains, legumes, vegetables, nuts, and fruits, with the avoidance of meat and high-fat animal products, along with a regular exercise program is consistently associated with lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, less obesity and consequently less heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, and a lower risk of overall mortality.
09-08-2010 03:30 PM
starshyyn Away
pig

That's interesting Arden.... my holistic doctor encouraged me to consume small amounts of fish and lean meats for the nutritional benefits. My diet is still 80-90% veggies, fruits, grains, legumes and nuts.
09-09-2010 08:41 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Eating fish is not an option for me, but most nutritionists and doctors do recommend it.
09-09-2010 09:20 PM