Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
fresh GREEN garbanzos
Arden Offline
your friend

fresh GREEN garbanzos
here's another interesting, and what was, to me, new product they were offering at a food expo I attended last night - FRESH green garbanzos (as opposed to the traditional dried or canned beige variety)
they are said to be more nutritious than the beans in their dried state, as their sugars have not yet been converted to starches.
http://www.califresh.net/home.html

I sampled 3 different flavors (garlic, tomato & basil, jalapeno) of hummus made from the fresh chickpeas, (or as they like to call it, garbanzomole - it IS bright green)

Spiced up like this, it was hard to say what the fresh beans might taste like solo ... but they were very pleasant in the green hummus stuff ... kinda similar to fresh peas, they seem sweeter, and less starchy than the traditional garbanzos
10-01-2010 01:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
col the geordie Offline
Living in the Uk - so you don't have to

RE: fresh GREEN garbanzos
(10-01-2010 01:16 PM)Arden Wrote:  here's another interesting, and what was, to me, new product they were offering at a food expo I attended last night - FRESH green garbanzos (as opposed to the traditional dried or canned beige variety)
they are said to be more nutritious than the beans in their dried state, as their sugars have not yet been converted to starches.

I sampled 3 different flavors (garlic, tomato & basil, jalapeno) of hummus made from the fresh chickpeas, (or as they like to call it, garbanzomole - it IS bright green)

Spiced up like this, it was hard to say what the fresh beans might taste like solo ... but they were very pleasant in the green hummus stuff ... kinda similar to fresh peas, they seem sweeter, and less starchy than the traditional garbanzos

Ah ha, and the truth is revealed ........

"also, I would like to receive kudos for the fact that I attended a food and cooking expo, but the only things I came home with were OIL and VINEGAR ... I'm proud of myself!"
Although you only went home with OIL and VINGAR you were scoffing up everything - well at least it would save on packaging. Well done!!!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boyBig Grin
10-01-2010 02:16 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(10-01-2010 02:16 PM)col the geordie Wrote:  Ah ha, and the truth is revealed ........

"also, I would like to receive kudos for the fact that I attended a food and cooking expo, but the only things I came home with were OIL and VINEGAR ... I'm proud of myself!"
Although you only went home with OIL and VINGAR you were scoffing up everything - well at least it would save on packaging. Well done!!!!

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

truth be told, there were very few "tasters" to be had - and the folks who WERE handing out samples kept them QUITE small, and didn't give out seconds ... I sampled probably about 8 different oils and vinegars on teeny - tiny little pieces of bread - probably didn't even add up to one slice!! I tried 3 different cheeses - tiny little 1/4 inch squares - certainly less than 1/2 an ounce! And I tried 3 different types of hummus that each were about a teaspoon or less of hummus with a small broken piece of pita chip. Oh, and I had ONE single bite each of monkey bread, almond bread, and cheese focaccia bread ... and truthfully, that is absolutely all- so you see, I did not scoff up everything in sight, I really did eat very little.

Now, full disclosure, if they had let me sample that focaccia over and over again, I would have done so willingly - Big Grin - but, probably better for my sake, they did not allow me to do so. Smile And although the urge was strong, I did not buy any focaccia, or any other of the many tempting breads, baked goods, cheeses and other delights!! STILL proud of myself! TongueBig Grin
10-01-2010 02:35 PM
col the geordie Offline
Living in the Uk - so you don't have to

(10-01-2010 02:35 PM)Arden Wrote:  truth be told, there were very few "tasters" to be had - and the folks who WERE handing out samples kept them QUITE small, and didn't give out seconds ... I sampled probably about 8 different oils and vinegars on teeny - tiny little pieces of bread - probably didn't even add up to one slice!! I tried 3 different cheeses - tiny little 1/4 inch squares - certainly less than 1/2 an ounce! And I tried 3 different types of hummus that each were about a teaspoon or less of hummus with a small broken piece of pita chip. Oh, and I had ONE single bite each of monkey bread, almond bread, and cheese focaccia bread ... and truthfully, that is absolutely all- so you see, I did not scoff up everything in sight, I really did eat very little.

Now, full disclosure, if they had let me sample that focaccia over and over again, I would have done so willingly - Big Grin - but, probably better for my sake, they did not allow me to do so. Smile And although the urge was strong, I did not buy any focaccia, or any other of the many tempting breads, baked goods, cheeses and other delights!! STILL proud of myself! TongueBig Grin

It sounds like you have a lot more self-control than I do - I would have needed a truck to take everything home. Maybe it's my hibernating instinct kicking in - eat everything in sight and then off to the cave for 5 months (of course I'd take my internet radio with me - so I could be serenaded by the PIG)

SmileSmileSmile

I'm not the messiah, I'm a very naughty boyBig Grin
10-01-2010 02:52 PM
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

(10-01-2010 01:16 PM)Arden Wrote:  here's another interesting, and what was, to me, new product they were offering at a food expo I attended last night - FRESH green garbanzos (as opposed to the traditional dried or canned beige variety)

My Bro just gifted me with a big bag o' these 2nite. He's heading out to Hawaii 2morrow & gave me everything in his produce bin. These are in a green not-so-edible pod, similar to mature peas. They have that wrinkled brain look just like dried garbanzos but they taste more like fresh peas.

Hmmmm, what should I do with 'em ? So far, just eating them raw. Huh

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
04-05-2011 08:35 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

the most common use for them that I've seen is making a fresh green hummus with them.
04-06-2011 10:33 AM