Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Meatless Monday
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

RE: Meatless Monday
Wow Arden, ya did it !! Stood up to the Challenge n' whipped them li'l cherries into shape, ha !!!!! Smile

And your creation is BEAUTIFUL toooo. Especiallly the spinach. I LOVE how the subtle color of the onions blends with those rich dark cherries to compliment the intense green of the spinach…Heart

Bet the crunch of those toasted pecans packed a nice punch tooooo…

What I'm tryin' to say is--

IT ALL LOOKS DELICIOUS !!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Hmmmm, think I'll try that sweet & spicy cherry glaze on some grilled tofu kabobs when
I'm feelin' mo betta. Huh Haven't coooked in a week cuz I been under da weather. Something I'm not used to toooo much… Confused

So. Which part of the dinner was your fave ?

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
02-21-2011 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arden Offline
your friend

thanks, Anjil!

I liked all the components of the meal, it was all tasty Smile
the glaze was good, the spinach was also very good, indeed
I think the pilaf was my favorite, this was a really great blend of koshihikari rices that I got from my local Asian market, 12 different kinds of whole grains, (sprouted brown rice, hulless barley, rye berries, jasmine brown, red rice, calmati brown, black barley, long grain red, black rice, whole oats, brown sweet rice, and wild rice) - yum! I cooked them in veggie broth, added the chopped toasted pecans and chopped dried cherries at the end, about 10 minutes before serving, so the cherries absorbed the liquid and plumped up.

oh, btw , the dessert report ...
the "baked cherry pudding",wasn't very custardy or pudding-like, it was more like a less starchy, slightly eggy cobbler ... a batter that spread thin in the pan, topped with a loose mixture of fruit and syrup baked up to a fruit-studded puff with an underlying layer of cherry glaze ... not exactly what I was expecting, but yummy enough to eat two pieces!! Wink

so, what did YOU have for dinner tonight, hmmm? HuhHuhHuh
inquiring minds want to know! Smile
02-21-2011 11:43 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Happy Meatless Monday!!
http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Today I made stuffed peppers ...

[Image: 100_4581.jpg]

the stuffing was made with a multi-grain pilaf (whole grain mixture with a variety of rices, barley, rye and oats,) with cherries, pecans, zucchini, red onions, mushrooms, and vegetarian "sausage" ... very yummy!
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2011 09:21 PM by Arden.)
02-28-2011 09:20 PM
Anjil Offline

Oh man. Hope ya can't see me droolin' here, ha !!!!!
Only thing I'd add to that beautiful pepper is chopped tomato and sharp cheddar...

I LOVE barley stuffed peppers !!!!! And Arden, yours is absolutely magnificent to behold.

Isn't it AMAZING all the gorgeous colors of peppers ???

I grow mine from seed but unfortunately a wayward SNAIL got into my greenhouse last week and ate my YELLOW BELL seedlings, arrrrgh !!!!!

I still have orange, purple, white, red... but no yellow. That hungry snail from hell ate my eggplant seedlings toooo.Angry

Guess it's not toooo late to start over since it's still early Spring, so all is coool. Smile

Dang, that is one FEAST FOR THE EYES PEPPER, Arden !!!!! Tongue

02-28-2011 10:59 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

you are so sweet in all your effusiveness, thank you! [Image: icon_blush.gif]

ummm, ummm, umm, cheese is ALWAYS good ( but I was tryin' to be healthy, I guess) RolleyesConfused

tomato in addition to an entire pepper would be too much sweet for me, being diabetic, but that sounds good, too :_

yes, I love all kinds and colors of peppers, both sweet and hot ... I'm so impressed you grow your own!

I love barley, too Smile

so, you had any good meatless meals lately? Smile
03-01-2011 12:10 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Happy Meatless Monday!
I made refried black beans with onions, zucchini, mushrooms and chipotle pepper served over oven-roasted carmelized yams ... yum!! What's for dinner at your house?
03-07-2011 08:05 PM
Anjil Offline

Happy Meatless Monday to you toooo, Arden !!! Your black beans sound very yummmy. I have some soaking tonight, coincidently. Tomorrow I will aspire to make them fancy and delicious, just like yours !!!!! Smile

So. My ex-Mother-in-Law inexplicably gave me a brand new only-used-once-still-in-the-box Bread Machine a few days ago. Boy oh boy have I been having fun, ha !!!!!! Heart

Tonight I made a wonderful Three Seed Bread and a pot of Pasta Fagioli. Both recipes came from the AllRecipes site. (of course I made a few changes...) Huh

The Seed Bread is HEAVENLY and commands TOTAL attention. That's why I had to make the soup. Cuz that KICK ASS Flax/Sesame/Pumpkin Seed Bread told me to, hahaha !!!! Tongue

03-07-2011 09:05 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

oh, my, Anjil ... congrats on your new acquisition, it sounds like a gift that found just the right home!!
I KNOW you will have fun!

And of course, a loaf of kick ass bread cries for a good soup accompaniment! Big Grin

(ps ... it's great for making pizza dough, too! Wink )

umm, I wish I had some of your yummy bread right now!!
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 08:52 AM by Arden.)
03-07-2011 11:46 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all!
Hope everyone is doin' well ...
Today I made some Hoppin' John ...
[Image: 100_4695.jpg]
and I also made a ginger loaf with cherries ...
[Image: 100_4704.jpg]

what's for dinner at your house??
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2011 07:12 PM by Arden.)
03-14-2011 07:03 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all!

Tonight, I made a bleu cheese/brown rice soufflé, with some romanesco broccoli on the side ... what's for dinner at your house? Smile

[Image: 100_4745.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2011 05:45 PM by Arden.)
03-21-2011 05:44 PM
Anjil Offline

Happpy Meatless Monday to you tooo, Arden !!!

That soufflé loooks delicious !!!! And who wouldn't want a side of Romanesco broccoli, AKA Outter Space Veggie, ha !!!!!

I made broccoli 2nite tooo, but just the plain ol' normal kind. With mushrooms n' asparagus in a Chinese-style garlic sauce.

Mostly though I've been making bread in my super-duper new Bread Machine !!!!!

And I've been experimenting and finding out stuffff... Huh

Did you know that garlic KILLS yeast ??? Confused

I didn't, till I put about 20 raw cloves in my Italian Bread recipe the other day, thinking it would be like the kind Costco sells with those yummmy roasted garlic nuggets inside...

...but it didn't happen correctly. Angry It FELL. Crying

Strangely, people ate it anyway. Confused Desperate times or whatever, ha !!!!

03-21-2011 09:27 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Anjil, yes, unfortunately if you add garlic to the bread dough while the dough is still rising it will kill the yeast. Instead, you have to add the garlic after the dough has risen, just before baking it in the oven.
hey, ya experiment, ya find out, that's life! Smile At least everybody still loved it, that's the main thing!! Smile

Here's a quote I love, cooking advice from Alice May Brock, author of the Alice's Restaurant Cookbook ...

"The basic ingredient is your attitude. Your spirit, and the excitement and the anticipation whipped up in the minds and mouths of those lucky people about to eat your cooking, are what really insure success. If you tell people that what you're cooking is absolutely fantastic - if you squeeze their arm and whisper in their ear that this meal is the greatest yet - they're going to love it. They'll never suspect that the strange taste in the potatoes is just that you've burned them - they will naturally assume that it's some exotic flavor that their innocent tastebuds have never experienced. Unless you've made some hideous mistake, never apologize."
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2011 10:01 PM by Arden.)
03-21-2011 09:55 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

mmmm, and btw, everything in your dinner tonight sounds GREAT! All my favorite veggies, one of my favorite sauces. I have the feelin' it's always good eatin' at Anjil's house! Big Grin
03-21-2011 10:17 PM
Anjil Offline

What a WONDERFUL quote !! Thank you, Arden !!!!!

I think Alice May Brock's words of wisdom could work for just about EVERYTHING in Life. Smile

03-21-2011 10:22 PM
Anjil Offline

Oh and BTW, I'm looking for any and all of the BEST vegetarian soup recipes I can find. Huh

There has been SO MUCH rain and dreariness that soup has taken center stage as a way to soothe and comfort weary Souls, at least in my realm.

Instead of focusing on just a Pizza Wagon, it's gonna be a Pizza n' Soup thing.

"Soup DeVille" is what I'm thinking. Like a Taco Wagon with big Cadillac fins or whatever. And delivering the BEST soups in the Universe !!!

I imagine cruising up to Intel or Apple or any of those gigantic office complexes on a dreary drizzly day with simmering vats of the most delicious and nutritious soups EVER !!!!

But we need some REALLLY GREAT Soup recipes. I have the Pasta Fagioli one down. Hmmmm... what else do people like ??? Huh

03-21-2011 10:57 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

why not take a survey?
Ask people to name their top ten favorite soups. And when you get enough responses, you'll be able to see the clear favorites! Are you doing vegetarian soups only? I would think a very basic tomato would have to be on the menu, for starters. Most everyone seems to love tomato.

I very rarely, if ever, use a recipe when I make soup ...

some of my faves are:
multi-bean chili
white bean soup
black bean soup
adzuki bean soup
yellow split pea
any kind of potato chowder (plain, with cheese and/or broccoli, with peppers, etc.)
Italian chickpea soup
any Thai soup that's coconut milk based

other ideas:
tortilla soup
avgolemono
gazpacho (summer soup!)
a basic "spring vegetable" soup
cream of - broccoli, asparagus, carrot
onion soup

But here's my genius brainstorm marketing idea that I'll give you for free! Smile Since you already have the pizza dough, here's an idea - why not sell the soup in homemade "bread cups"? (shaped, and baked pizza dough) This is an idea I've always thought would be a great one - Customers could drink the soup, and then eat the bowl. No paper or plastic or even biodegradable bowls to deal with ... it would be green, unique, AND delicious!
03-22-2011 08:37 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

oh, and can't forget my all time favorite, cream of mushroom
mushroom & barley is good, too!
03-22-2011 02:27 PM
Anjil Offline

(03-22-2011 08:37 AM)Arden Wrote:  ...here's my genius brainstorm marketing idea that I'll give you for free! Smile Since you already have the pizza dough, here's an idea - why not sell the soup in homemade "bread cups"? (shaped, and baked pizza dough) This is an idea I've always thought would be a great one - Customers could drink the soup, and then eat the bowl. No paper or plastic or even biodegradable bowls to deal with ... it would be green, unique, AND delicious!

Wow, Arden !!! That IS a GENIOUS idea !!!!! We couldn't do those big, traditional bread bowls where they hollow out the loaves cuz there's limited space in a Food Wagon. But the Pizza Bowls would be stackable & take up very little space. Here are pix of some I found 2day:

http://www.applepiepatispate.com/bread/s...wl-recipe/

Wonder if they would be toooo labor intensive for a commercial venture...

And is there something in existence that could serve as a mold (other than lining up a bunch of pyrex bowls on a cookie sheet ?) Huh

I had been thinking Pizza Dough breadsticks to go with the soup but YOUR idea is lightyears ahead Exclamation

03-22-2011 08:27 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

... well, pyrex bowls on a cookie sheet is how I'd go, but that won't work well for large volume, I guess? ...

my advice is to scout around a bit on the intertubes ... I'm sure with the huge plethora of silicone molds they have now for baking, you could find something suitable!!!
03-23-2011 07:51 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Well, it's Monday again!
Happy Meatless Monday to ya!!

Of course, every day is meatless at my house, but if you're wondering about this "Meatless Monday" movement ...
or, "Why Monday"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-elam...30669.html

even if you love to eat meat, it benefits yourself and the planet to cut back ... so why not give it a try, even if for only one day a week?

Tonight, I tried my hand at making pudla (chickpea pancakes with ginger and crushed peas,) from a Madhur Jaffrey recipe:

[Image: 100_4785.jpg]

I served them with a side of steamed spinach, some sauteed red pepper strips, and a small dollop of cilantro/mint chutney (which was totally unnecessary)

What's for dinner at your house?
03-28-2011 07:16 PM