Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Meatless Monday
Arden Offline
your friend

RE: Meatless Monday
Happy meatless Monday, y'all. Tonight, I'm making red bell peppers stuffed with brown rice, barley, lentils, mushrooms and asparagus, seasoned with onions, garlic, and spices. What's for dinner at your house? Smile
04-04-2011 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

Arden, I bet those stuffed peppers taste AMAZING !!

I tried to reply last week to the Chickpea recipe with a very lonnng heartfelt thing that vanished into cyber-nothingness when I mistakingly hit the wrong button, arggggh. It was late. So I put on my jammies and went to bed.

But I would LOVE to learn to cook with chickpea flour. They sell it at Berkeley Bowl for barely over a dollar a pound. Or I guess I could grind garbanzos in my Vita-mix... Huh

Anyway, I've been VERY busy selling Heirloom Tomato Seedlings to people who had no idea they were gonna buy a tomato plant, ha !!!!

It's impressive what a nice legible sign can accomplish @ a busy intersection, ha !!!!!! Big Grin

I love you, Arden. Thank you for all your your Meatless Monday inspiration !!!!!!!!

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
04-04-2011 09:11 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

love you too, Anjil girl

you are amazing all on your own, you don't need me for inspiration!
04-05-2011 07:17 AM
barndweller Offline
bewildered listener

thanks for the show today Arden!
We're makin' a little Minestrone for Monday supper
today we're celebrating MM!!
Smile
04-05-2011 03:21 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Smile
04-05-2011 03:47 PM
barndweller Offline
bewildered listener

I got this recipe from my pal Gino (Luigi) Amalfitano.
He grew up on the coast in Argentina, his parents were from the Amalfi coast of Italy...

pasta patana - a quick version
Italian country style

sauce: some olive oil, 1 tomato paste, 3 small cans tomato sauce,
2 diced fresh tomatoes, garlic, ground pepper,
simmered together long and slow

3 potatoes peeled and cubed
cooked in water 'til almost tender

1 box small penne or shell pasta, cooked al dente

mix all together and simmer for a few minutes on reduced heat
can serve topped with favorite grated cheese....

I wish I could introduce you all to this guy,
He is very smart, somewhat overweight, and speaks his 3rd language to me
in a thick accent and usually says almost exactly opposite what he means

I just love him and have worked with him for over 25 years
04-11-2011 02:22 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

sounds like a great dish; (though I'm a little perplexed by the 3 small cans of tomato sauce - how small is small?) AND Gino sounds like a really great guy - thanks for sharin', Tom! Smile
04-11-2011 03:13 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all! http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Tonight, I've got a pot of 15 Bean Cajun Chili simmering on the stove ... so, what's for dinner at your house? Big Grin
04-11-2011 03:14 PM
Anjil Offline

(04-11-2011 02:22 PM)barndweller Wrote:  I got this recipe from my pal Gino (Luigi) Amalfitano.
He grew up on the coast in Argentina, his parents were from the Amalfi coast of Italy...

I just love him and have worked with him for over 25 years

Oh that is WONDERFUL, Barn !!!

I love those simple "rustic" recipes !!!!!! They are easy to make and light on the wallet...

Sure would enjoy meeting your friend Luigi !!!!!! Heart

Anyone who says almost exactly opposite what he means is my kinda guy, ha !!!!!!! TongueTongueTongue

04-11-2011 09:22 PM
Anjil Offline

(04-11-2011 03:14 PM)Arden Wrote:  Happy Meatless Monday, y'all! http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

Tonight, I've got a pot of 15 Bean Cajun Chili simmering on the stove ... so, what's for dinner at your house? Big Grin

That sounds delicious, Arden !!!! I decided to make a comforting soup-type thing 2nite tooo cuz it got cold n' windy when the sun went down.

Plus, I already had a fresh loaf of Flax/Pumpkin seed whole wheat bread ready (thanks to my super-duper bread machine, ha !!!!)

HAPPPY MEATLESS MONDAY, PIGGIES !!!!!! Smile

04-11-2011 09:35 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

yum yum yum
your bread sounds gooooood Smile
04-11-2011 09:44 PM
Anjil Offline

Happy Meatless Monday, y'all !!!

I am cookin' Mushroom-Artichoke Stuffed Pasta Shells. Trying out a couple different entrees for Easter, guinea pig style (well, sans guinea pig meat; after all this IS Meatless Monday, ha !!)

Doing this AHEAD of time cuz last year I went with an untried recipe from Giada of the Food Network. Made it on Easter morning and realized the stuff totallly sucked, just as my guests were arriving !!!

It was soooo bland, I had to dump a pound of cheese on the concoction just to get my vegetarian extended family even mildly excited about it. Angry

Goes to show, ya can't always predict how goood a recipe's gonna be, even with several hundred Five Star review/ratings...Confused

Anyway, I wanted to make those jumbo stuffed shells, but not with the usual Italian ricotta tomato sauce treatment. I found this recipe online and it sounds gooood:

http://hanielas.blogspot.com/2011/01/mus...hells.html

I have the filling made and now just gotta stuff them big bad-ass shells. But I can tell you -- the filling is DELICIOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!! TongueTongueTongue

04-18-2011 05:55 PM
barndweller Offline
bewildered listener

Mango Salsa Pico

2 mangoes, peeled and diced small
1 green apple, diced small
1 gala apple and/or 1 pear, diced small
1 small red onion, diced
handful of chopped cilantro leaves
orange bits
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 seeded and diced cucumber
1 or 2 cloves minced garlic
diced jalapeno (optional)
salt, black pepper

mix all together... serve chilled
nice with yellow rice
or just eat it like salad
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011 07:05 PM by barndweller.)
04-18-2011 07:03 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Wow, Anjil,
I'm excited for you!! Oooooooooh, that sounds SOOOO good!! And, you are VERY smart to try out a company dish ahead of time. I'm with ya, somehing can have a ton of great reviews, but ... ya just never know until you try it yourself ...
what's the other recipe you are tryin' out?

Happy Meatless Monday to y'all! ... tonight I made a shiitake mushroom, black olive and green pea tofu frittata ... with some tomatoes and avo on the side ...
[Image: 100_4894.jpg]
04-18-2011 07:10 PM
Anjil Offline

(04-18-2011 07:03 PM)barndweller Wrote:  Mango Salsa Pico

1 small red onion, diced
orange bits
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
salt, black pepper

nice with yellow rice

Oh Barn, that sounds so wonderful and COLORFUL !!!! I bet it's
beautiful and tasty on a buffet table. Smile

04-18-2011 07:31 PM
Anjil Offline

Arden, I NEEED your recipe for that frittata !!!!!

Not only does it looook extremely delicious, but I also just bought
a #10 can of sliced black olives, so am in dire need of olive uses, ha !!!

Why would I buy a hundred and twenty servings of olives in one can, ya might ask Huh Yeah, I am insane, but there's a better explanation.

Well... at my annual Easter Eggstravaganza Party, we also have a Basket Swap which is just super duper FUN !!!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Everyone makes an unusual and surprising Easter Basket out of recycled stuff or whatever and then we put them on display and after consuming our amazingly delicious dinner, we do a Basket Swap where we hand out numbers and ya get to take home whatever basket that number is...

So. I recently found a book that tells me how to make a really cool Bird Feeder using an empty Number 10 can. Are you familiar with those cans ? They are kinda big. And mine had about a million olives in it 'til I emptied the can into several large containers.

The containers are in the fridge now, awaiting my guidance. Little do they know, I am an anarchist or whatever and have no gooood OLIVE recipes, or even any kind of plan, ha !!!! Tongue

04-18-2011 07:55 PM
Anjil Offline

Oh yeah, Arden, the other dish I'm trying out, I haven't found a good recipe for it yet.

I wanna do stuffed peppers. But I want them to be like the ones the Asian Rose used to serve @ their old cafe a lonnnng time ago. The peppers were fairly large, Anaheims, I think. They put lotsa potatoes, peas, lentils, carrots, curry n' stuff in them. And they were still crunchy, not over-cooked. But there was a coating on the outside, maybe chickpea flour ? And slightly fried but not tooo greasy.

That was my favorite foood in the Universe back in the 1990's Santa Cruz.

When they discontinued them, I threw a big fit !!!! They almost kicked me outtta the restaurant. The guy from Shri Lanka (one of the owners) told me "they are tooooo labor intensive."

It was his Grandma's recipe. Guess she didn't spend a lot of time on Facebook, ha !!!!!

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011 08:26 PM by Anjil.)
04-18-2011 08:25 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(04-18-2011 07:03 PM)barndweller Wrote:  Mango Salsa Pico

1 small red onion, diced
orange bits
1/4 cup lime juice
1/3 cup lemon juice
salt, black pepper

nice with yellow rice

that sounds absolutely delicious! I love fruit salsas, especially with a bit of heat ... spicy and sweet together are so great! Maybe some red AND some green jalapenos? UndecidedBig Grin
I will definitely try this one, thanks, BD! Smile
04-18-2011 08:28 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(04-18-2011 07:55 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Arden, I NEEED your recipe for that frittata !!!!!

Not only does it looook extremely delicious, but I also just bought
a #10 can of sliced black olives, so am in dire need of olive uses, ha !!!

Why would I buy a hundred and twenty servings of olives in one can, ya might ask Huh Yeah, I am insane, but there's a better explanation.

Well... at my annual Easter Eggstravaganza Party, we also have a Basket Swap which is just super duper FUN !!!!!! SmileSmileSmile

Everyone makes an unusual and surprising Easter Basket out of recycled stuff or whatever and then we put them on display and after consuming our amazingly delicious dinner, we do a Basket Swap where we hand out numbers and ya get to take home whatever basket that number is...

So. I recently found a book that tells me how to make a really cool Bird Feeder using an empty Number 10 can. Are you familiar with those cans ? They are kinda big. And mine had about a million olives in it 'til I emptied the can into several large containers.

The containers are in the fridge now, awaiting my guidance. Little do they know, I am an anarchist or whatever and have no gooood OLIVE recipes, or even any kind of plan, ha !!!! Tongue

I LOVE your family basket swap - what a sweet custom!! And I love your birdfeeder idea! You'll have to post a picture of it befoe you give it away!

I am sure you can come up with many awesome ideas to use those olives ... I so love olives ...

very good in a nice foccacia style bread ...
in pasta sauce - yum!
in tapanades - yum!
keep a small container of chopped olives in the frig, use them throughout the week, throw them over your enchiladas, burritos, into your soups and stir frys, add them to salads, quiches, sandwiches
I think a casserole with scalloped potatoes and olives would be awesome ...

Here's the recipe for the frittata ...

Wild Mushroom & Asparagus Tofu Frittata
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove mincedd garlic
1/2 cup diced yellow onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms of your choice (portabello, shitake, oyster or chanterelle)
1/2 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup olives, chopped or sliced
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 lb fresh silken tofu
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

2. Heat oil in a skillet or saucepan. Saute the garlic, onions and mushrooms in the olive oil until translucent. Add asparagus and a small amount of water and simmer until asparagus is almost tender. Add vinegar and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the olives.

3. Blend the tofu with the salt and turmeric, adding enough water or cooking broth to make a creamy consistency.

4. Fold the vegetable mixture and parsley into the pureed tofu and then into an oiled 9 inch pie dish or pan

5. Bake for 45 minutes or until top is firm and golden brown

6. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving

I had no asparagus, and didn't want to pay $3 a lb for it, so I subbed peas - not the best choice, as they cooked too quickly. Asparagus would have been better. Smile

Just as a side note - although I have been a vegetarian for more than 40 years, this is the first time I have made a vegan frittata, (without any eggs or cheese.) I just wanted to try it, because Whole Foods makes a tofu frittata that is pretty good, surprisingly. So, I tried it, and this came out pretty tasty - different than an eggy frittata - but good. I'm sure you could add a moderate amount of cheese to it, if you desired. Smile
04-18-2011 08:47 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(04-18-2011 08:25 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Oh yeah, Arden, the other dish I'm trying out, I haven't found a good recipe for it yet.

I wanna do stuffed peppers. But I want them to be like the ones the Asian Rose used to serve @ their old cafe a lonnnng time ago. The peppers were fairly large, Anaheims, I think. They put lotsa potatoes, peas, lentils, carrots, curry n' stuff in them. And they were still crunchy, not over-cooked. But there was a coating on the outside, maybe chickpea flour ? And slightly fried but not tooo greasy.

That was my favorite foood in the Universe back in the 1990's Santa Cruz.

When they discontinued them, I threw a big fit !!!! They almost kicked me outtta the restaurant. The guy from Shri Lanka (one of the owners) told me "they are tooooo labor intensive."

It was his Grandma's recipe. Guess she didn't spend a lot of time on Facebook, ha !!!!!

ummm, sounds good!
I think you know enough about the recipe, you could improvise the stuffing ... just make a nice lentil potato pea curry to your liking ...
yes, you can coat things in chickpea flour, like they use for pakoras. And, I have also made a "shake and bake" style seasoned chick pea flour, with your typical Indian spices ... cumin, coriander, cilantro, cayenne, you know, whatever you like ... you can coat and roast whatever with that seasoning ...
I think possibly you could prepare the peppers empty, that way they would be easy to keep crispy. Have the prepared stuffing hot and ready to go first, then dip the peppers in your batter, or roll them in your coating, whatever, quick fry or bake them, and set them to cool - when they are cool enough to handle, fill them with the warm stuffing.
04-18-2011 09:03 PM