Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Meatless Monday
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

RE: Meatless Monday
(05-05-2012 09:47 AM)Arden Wrote:  Hey, my recipe, this recipe was featured in an article about artichokes in the Monterey County Weekly! Smile Big Grin Cool
http://www.montereycountyweekly.com/webl...ome-with-/

Congratulations Arden. You are worthy of this and much more for all your artistic and delectable foood creations !!!!! Have you started a food blog ? Or maybe you don't have time... I would definitely be one of your subscribers if you did !!!!! HeartHeartHeart

Your spin on Food is different, ingenious & healthy !!!!!

Oh did I mention creative and extremely photogenic ? SmileSmileSmile
05-05-2012 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arden Offline
your friend

(05-05-2012 08:04 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Congratulations Arden. You are worthy of this and much more for all your artistic and delectable foood creations !!!!! Have you started a food blog ? Or maybe you don't have time... I would definitely be one of your subscribers if you did !!!!! HeartHeartHeart

Your spin on Food is different, ingenious & healthy !!!!!

Oh did I mention creative and extremely photogenic ? SmileSmileSmile

Thank you, and it's good to hear from you, Anjil. Smile

nah, not only do I not have time, but there are also so many folks who food blog already who do it so very well ... I can't compete with professional chefs

but thanks!! I miss hearing about your meatless meals, it's been a while Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 08:03 AM by Arden.)
05-06-2012 06:12 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Okay, just cause I'm happy someone is actually reading these posts, I'll give ya a belated Sinko de Mayo prezzie ...

Who's your buddy? Who's your pal?

Just cause I love ya, and also because Cinco de Mayo is a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo-holiday, I offer you a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe - ha!

This is my version of Nacho Cheese Sauce that has no nasty plastic velveeta, no artificial orange color, no msg or food starch ... and it's even got the right creamy consistency and color ... it's good!

Nacho Cheese Sauce, It's Mine

ingredients:

1½ tablespoon butter

1 tablespoon corn starch

½ cup nonfat evaporated milk

1 ounce cream cheese, cubed

1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1/4 cup Pepper Jack, shredded

1½ teapoons sriracha

1 tablespoon paprika

NOTE:

Put cheddar and jack cheese in freezer before you begin. Very cold cheese is easier to grate, and will grate more finely. Do not use pre-shredded cheese for this recipe, as it contains an anti-caking agent that prevents the cheese from melting smoothly.

1. Make a roux by melting butter over a medium low flame in heavy bottomed pan. Whisk in cornstarch. Whisk in evaporated milk, bit by bit, until creamy.

2. Add cream cheese, whisk until cream cheese is thoroughly melted and completely incorporated.

3. Add shredded jack and cheddar cheeses, stir briskly over low heat until completely melted. Add sriracha and paprika, stir until thoroughly blended, and color is even.

Serve immediately while warm.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 08:04 AM by Arden.)
05-06-2012 06:35 AM
Anjil Offline

Arden wrote:
"Just cause I love ya, and also because Cinco de Mayo is a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo-holiday, I offer you a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe - ha!"

Oh Arden, you got me laughing so hard I almost fell outta my chair, ha !!!!! TongueTongueTongue

Thank YOU for that recipe. It is cheesy without being cheezy...

I have everything on board to put it 2gether 'cept the Pepper Jack.

Should I try it with the plain ol' Monterey Jack I have in the fridge ?
Would that work if I add some minced jalapeños or a roasted poblano ?

I WANT THAT NACHO SAUCE ON MY LIPS RIGHT NOW !!!! (but yeah, of course--not on my hips where that kinda stuff eventually migrates to, ha !!!!!) SmileCoolSmile

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
05-07-2012 10:22 PM
Anjil Offline

Hey Arden, do you ever make Tamale Pie ?

My mechanically inclined Bro-in-Law recently came over to resurrect my truck from the dead. His miracle worked perfectly and all he would take for payment of services was a nice vegetarian lunch (he's been a veggie head for at least 20 years...)

So. I thought of the Tamale Pie my Momma taught me to make... Smile

But it had beef and I don't even know how to cook with that stuff anymore... Huh So I used Soyrizo for the protein and the Tamale Pie turned out AWESOME !!! I could tell that my Bro-in-Law liked it alot. Tongue

I'm thinking that your "cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe" for Nacho cheese sauce could be a perfect addition just below the top polenta or masa layer of my pie... Exclamation

So. I will try it soooon and report back... Shy Thank you, Arden !!!

05-08-2012 09:41 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Hi, Anjil,

yes, I do make tamale pie on occasion. I have a great recipe I really like that has you make your filling in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop, then you pour the cornbread batter over the top, and finish it off in the oven. I usually sub beans & some olives for the meat, as I'm not the world's biggest soyrizo fan, but I can see where that would be very tasty and work well, too!!

the other night, I decided to take a basic tamale pie recipe, and change all the seasoning to Italian instead of Mexican ... y'know, lots of basil oregano rosemary garlic rather than chili powder, cilantro cumin jalapenos - then I simply called it "Italian Polenta Pie", and yes, it was delicious! Smile Smile Smile

that recipe for nacho sauce is really good - it would be GREAT with tamale pie!!
05-09-2012 12:58 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(05-07-2012 10:22 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Arden wrote:
"Just cause I love ya, and also because Cinco de Mayo is a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo-holiday, I offer you a cheesy, bastardized, psuedo Mexican recipe - ha!"

Oh Arden, you got me laughing so hard I almost fell outta my chair, ha !!!!! TongueTongueTongue

Thank YOU for that recipe. It is cheesy without being cheezy...

I have everything on board to put it 2gether 'cept the Pepper Jack.

Should I try it with the plain ol' Monterey Jack I have in the fridge ?
Would that work if I add some minced jalapeños or a roasted poblano ?

I WANT THAT NACHO SAUCE ON MY LIPS RIGHT NOW !!!! (but yeah, of course--not on my hips where that kinda stuff eventually migrates to, ha !!!!!) SmileCoolSmile

sure, of course, why not? experiment! Smile
05-09-2012 12:59 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Okay, and in other food news - tomorrow, May 10th, one day only, one of my recipes is being featured on a "specials board" for a promotion run by Wild Thyme Deli and Café in Marina. http://www.wildthymedeli.com/

They run a special every 10th of the month - two dinners, for two people, for only 10 bucks!

such a deal! But it's a one day deal only, and they are only open for breakfast and lunch, close at 5 pm, so you have to call in ahead of time and order take-out if you want it for dinner.

SO, if you are anywhere near Marina, and looking for a tasty, healthy and inexpensive dinner tomorrow night, check it out!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater
05-09-2012 01:05 PM
Anjil Offline

Happy Meatless Monday, Piggies !!! It's homemade pasta night...

[Image: HomemadePastaPhoto.jpg]

05-21-2012 08:17 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

what a beautiful sight, Anjil!! and what a lovely picture, love the composition. feels so warm, homey and inviting! and I'm sure it was super delicious, too! Smile
I haven't made homemade pasta in a while ...
05-26-2012 12:09 PM
Anjil Offline

[Image: CardForArden.jpg]
Happy Meatless Monday Piggies !!! Veggie Burgers in the backyard @ Anjil's place... Hmmmm, maybe a Longboard Lager on the side... Beer
Glad you had a gooood B-day dinner, Arden !!! Gonna have to try that place sooooon... Smile What dishes do you recommend ? Huh

05-28-2012 06:00 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Hi, Anjil, and thanks for the bday wishes, I love my card ... Smile

re: bday dinner, first time I had ever been there, so I can only tell ya I liked everything I got
their veggie menu is fairly extensive
http://shunfengrestaurant.net/about.asp
I had your basic eggrolls, very fresh tasting - lots of celery in them, which was good
I also had their black pepper vegi-chikn brown fried rice ... lots of sweet onion, green pepper and celery in the rice, which was nice, not very spicy, though, although it was advertised as such
Also had the bean curd and broccoli in Szechuan sauce, delicious
lots of leftovers for the-day-after-birthday lunch, too! Smile
05-28-2012 06:35 PM
Anjil Offline

Wow Arden, they reallly do have a VAST veggie menu !!! (wish every place did...) So. I'll have the number 143 and 145. Can you tell I HeartHeartHeart noooodles ???

Okay better toss in some 123 for gooood measure, ha !!!!!

Glad you had some leftovers. Always nice to re-experience a lovely meal, especially one that reheats well... Smile

05-28-2012 07:39 PM