Joined: Jun 2009
I love gingerbread!! This recipe from King Arthur Flour is THE BEST EVER!!!
I made a beautiful gingerbread we enjoyed for Christmas dessert along with some whipped cream and blood orange sorbet. It was SO good.
Very moist and flavorful. Every single person who had a piece went back for seconds ... that's gotta say something!
• 2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger (Mix the grated ginger in with the butter and molasses before adding it to the recipe.)
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon each cloves and nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
• 3/4 cup molasses
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup buttermilk
1) Grease and flour a 9" square pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
3) Melt the butter in a heatproof measuring cup. Add the molasses and grated ginger to the cup, and pour into the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing to moisten.
4) Add the water, stirring until everything is moistened. Whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Stir into the batter until it's evenly combined.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cake just begins to pull away from the edge of the pan.
6) Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing; serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2010 11:35 PM by Arden.)
|12-27-2010 10:14 AM