Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
almost carb-free noodles
Arden Offline
your friend

almost carb-free noodles
a friend just told me about these noodles, which are made of tofu and yam root - 3 carbs per serving!!
[Image: tofu-shirataki-noodles.jpg]

I picked up 2 packs at the supermarket to try - Anjil, I'm gonna try 'em with your famous spicy peanut garlic cilantro sauce, [Image: smilie-1.gif]

I'll let ya know how they come out Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2011 11:41 PM by Arden.)
01-05-2011 11:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

RE: almost carb-free noodles
Yay, Arden !! The Hungry Girl Noodles, ha !!!!!! As they said in their blog:

"We cannot possibly begin to explain to you how much we love and cherish these noodles."

I think they will be GREAT with the Peanut Sauce !!!! Smile

Happy New Year, Arden !!!!!!!

BTW, I'm going to a Pizza Party on Sunday with a bunch of Veggie Heads. What
do you recommend for toppings ??? (it's a bring your own kinda thing & my friends
are 90% vegetarian or whatever)

...I'm thinking artichoke hearts... and Garlic. Mmmmmmm... SmileSmileSmile

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
01-06-2011 12:09 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

well, cheese, of course, but I'm sure you have that one covered
garlic, yum, artichoke hearts, tasty
but you must have MUSHROOMS, girl!!!! (how can you have pizza without mushrooms ???)
other ideas:
whole basil leaves, olives, carmelized onions, bell pepper strips, very small bits of cooked broccoli florets

have fun!! sounds like a blast!!
01-06-2011 04:11 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Hey, Anjil ...
more on the subject of delicious garlicky, cilantro-y, asian style peanut sauces ...

I have been discussing this topic on a couple of other boards I frequent, and no less than three different and unassociated foodie sources that I have great respect for suggested that the heat of choice to add to such a sauce is unequivocally sriracha ...

for whatever that's worth to ya ... just sayin' Big Grin
01-06-2011 09:01 PM
Anjil Offline

(01-06-2011 09:01 PM)Arden Wrote:  Hey, Anjil ...
more on the subject of delicious garlicky, cilantro-y, asian style peanut sauces ...

I have been discussing this topic on a couple of other boards I frequent, and no less than three different and unassociated foodie sources that I have great respect for suggested that the heat of choice to add to such a sauce is unequivocally sriracha ...

for whatever that's worth to ya ... just sayin' Big Grin

Coool Arden, gotcha. Sriracha. And it's hotcha Angry ha !!!! Tongue

(Hmmm, does it actually rhyme with gotcha ???) Huh

01-06-2011 09:34 PM
Anjil Offline

(01-06-2011 04:11 PM)Arden Wrote:  well, cheese, of course, but I'm sure you have that one covered
garlic, yum, artichoke hearts, tasty
but you must have MUSHROOMS, girl!!!! (how can you have pizza without mushrooms ???)
other ideas:
whole basil leaves, olives, carmelized onions, bell pepper strips, very small bits of cooked broccoli florets

have fun!! sounds like a blast!!

Well the cheese and mushroooms are the foundation of the pizza, at least in my crazy li'l mind. Guess that's why I left 'em out of the equation. I asssumed they'd already be there. But I got an email 2nite from the Pizza Party hostess n' she listed what she's providing. SHE DIDN'T INCLUDE MUSHROOOMS !!!!!!!!!

So, yeah. I will swing by the local Farmer's Market on Sat. a.m. and grab a bunch of baby bellas !!! Smile Dang that would be a sad pizza without shrooomms on it !!!! ConfusedConfusedConfused

I LOVE your idea about the carmelized onions and she DID include them on her list. I also think green onions are amazing on pizza. But I've never tried the carmelized so that will be very coool !!!!!

Our party Sunday is the preliminary for the Pizza Wagon business co-op that we're working on. The wood-fired oven is coming soooon !!!!!!

01-06-2011 09:50 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

what else was on her list, inquiring minds want to know ? Smile Big Grin
This is so exciting, I am so happy for you in your newly emerging business plan ... VERY extra way cool!!! Smile Congratulations!!!!!
and keep me informed!! Smile
01-06-2011 10:27 PM
Anjil Offline

Here is her list, in her own words:

"For toppings, I'm going to have available: fresh mozzarella, goat cheese feta, pesto, roasted red bell peppers, onions (I like mine caramalized), garlic, spinach, and tomato sauce. Bring anything else you might like, including drinks.

As you know, my house is small, so wear thin clothing and don't eat much the day before, so we all fit." SmileSmileSmile

01-06-2011 10:37 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(01-06-2011 09:34 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Coool Arden, gotcha. Sriracha. And it's hotcha Angry ha !!!! Tongue

(Hmmm, does it actually rhyme with gotcha ???) Huh

yeah, kinda Smile

see - rah - shaw

http://www.forvo.com/word/sriracha/

artistic license ...
if Fred Eaglesmith can rhyme g'rage with trash and Cash, you can certainly rhyme sriracha with hotcha and gotcha Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 10:43 PM by Arden.)
01-06-2011 10:39 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(01-06-2011 10:37 PM)Anjil Wrote:  Here is her list, in her own words:

"For toppings, I'm going to have available: fresh mozzarella, goat cheese feta, pesto, roasted red bell peppers, onions (I like mine caramalized), garlic, spinach, and tomato sauce. Bring anything else you might like, including drinks.

As you know, my house is small, so wear thin clothing and don't eat much the day before, so we all fit." SmileSmileSmile

mmm, I would bring white sauce, roasted mushrooms, blue cheese crumbles, and black olives, basil ... and maybe some freshly grated parm ... and offer to come naked! Wink

man, that sounds like one heck of a way fine fun partyin' time!! yummy yum yum
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 11:00 PM by Arden.)
01-06-2011 11:00 PM
Anjil Offline

(01-06-2011 11:00 PM)Arden Wrote:  mmm, I would bring white sauce, roasted mushrooms, blue cheese crumbles, and black olives, basil ... and maybe some freshly grated parm ... and offer to come naked! Wink

man, that sounds like one heck of a way fine fun partyin' time!! yummy yum yum

I wannna bring white sauce !!!! Would that be the standard recipe on the back of the cornstarch box or ??? Could I add garlic or other flavors to the white sauce ???

I am definitely bringing freshly grated parm. Actually Parmesan Reggie or whatever it's called. I already grated it up and put it in an empty fennel seed container.

And Arden, you are now officially invited, esp. since you're coming naked, hahaha !!! Not to worry. The paparazzi will be bound & gagged with mouthfuls of pizza.Tongue

01-06-2011 11:21 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

you could use any basic white sauce recipe - I usually make mine with flour, but I'm sure cornstarch would work just fine, too ... yes, you can make a cream sauce, or a garlic cream sauce or a garlic/white wine cream sauce or a garlic and basil cream sauce or garlic and rosemary cream , or a garlic and parmesan cream sauce ... i guess what I'm trying to say is, yes, I think garlic is an essential ingredient Big Grin

"And Arden, you are now officially invited, esp. since you're coming naked, hahaha !!! Not to worry. The paparazzi will be bound & gagged with mouthfuls of pizza.Tongue"

[Image: haha21.gif]
01-06-2011 11:35 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

or, just do it the easy way, and buy a jar of TJ's alfredo sauce ... decadent and lovely alternative to your standard pizza tomato sauce ... Smile
01-06-2011 11:36 PM
Anjil Offline

Do you put the Alfredo sauce directly on the crust ? Or slather it on after the toppings ?

I used to always put the tomato sauce directly on the crust but eventually figured out that it sogs up the crust too much. Plus, I watched the Pizza My Heart guys making their pizzas...

It's always:

1. Hand stretch the dough
2. Spread a bunch of grated mozzarella on top
3. Squirt the tomato sauce in a spiral pattern with the turkey baster or whatever
4. Add all the great amazing fresh toppings
5. Bake in that high-powered pizza oven
6. Put in front of the customers' noses and watch them drooool, ha !!!!

01-06-2011 11:55 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

I've never put the cheese on first, but it sounds like a good method!

I always brush the crust with olive oil first to seal it, then put the sauce on, then the toppings, and the cheese last, to keep everything else from falling off! Big Grin
01-07-2011 12:03 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

... okay, I made the shirataki noodles a few days ago, and since I promised to report back ...

First of all, I made Anjil's Peanut Sauce, mostly as she wrote it, but substituted sriracha for the chili oil, and used half the amount of garlic. The flavors were excellent. Next time, I'd use less water, I'd like it to be just a little more peanutty.
Otherwise, incredible.

Now, as for the noodles. The word that comes to mind is "boingy" ... I wouldn't call them rubbery, because that implies "tough to chew", and they aren't that, but they are definitely very "boingy."
I didn't mind them, I thought they were okay, and I'd probably eat them again, but hubby really hated them, and said they were "slimy" ... that adjective I find strange, and I did say to him, well, the texture is kind of "boingy", and he said, no, it's not that, they are "slimy" ...
whatever ...
they may be a low cal, low carb miracle, but they weren't a hit at my house, too bad ...

I don't know yet what I'll make for dinner on this fabulous Meatless Monday, but wanted to share some info about a company that I think makes great products ...

(btw, all of their products are not vegetarian, and neither are their recipes, so Caveat emptor)

Seeds of Change
http://www.seedsofchangefoods.com/default.aspx

from their website ...

Seeds of ChangeĀ® was founded in 1989 with a revolutionary mission: To make organically grown seeds available to gardeners and farmers, while preserving countless heirloom seed varieties in danger of being lost to the "advances" of modern industrial agriculture.
While that mission stills hold true today, our company has evolved to be a strong producer of Certified Organic foods and Chocolates. Our line of Certified Organic Rice & Grain Blends, Simmer Sauces, Pasta Sauces, Salad Dressings, and chocolate bars were inspired by the notion that great taste and sustainability go hand in hand.
We put our hearts and minds into crafting a range of recipes that use only the world's most premium, flavorsome ingredients. And we use only a minimum of those ingredients to ensure the flavors emerge purely and distinctly; our goal is for you to savor the same fresh taste we do while out in the fields.

today, I took a couple of spoonfuls of my leftover peanut sauce, and stirred it into their "Tigris" 7 grain blend ...

http://www.seedsofchangefoods.com/our_fo...=rth&p=284

made a deeelicious brunch!
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2011 11:19 AM by Arden.)
01-10-2011 11:18 AM
webhog Offline
Bit Mangler

sriracha sauce rocks.

you know whats really good on pizza? whole cloves of roasted garlic, added towards the end so they don't burn. omg.
01-10-2011 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anjil Offline

Arden wrote:
Now, as for the noodles. The word that comes to mind is "boingy" ... I wouldn't call them rubbery, because that implies "tough to chew", and they aren't that, but they are definitely very "boingy."

Oh my, that is funnny, Arden !!!!! Big Grin

I saw those noodles in the "natural foods" section of Raley's yesterday and remembered your earlier post. Almost bought some to mix with my peanut sauce. But then I thought, danng, what a small package of noodles they give ya !!Sad

Glad I didn't try 'em. I HATE BOINGY !!!!! AngryAngryAngry

Tough or rubbery I can take cuz I got teeth or whatever. But boingy ???

I think that implies springy yet soggy.

No. That's not for me, ha !!!!! Tongue

01-12-2011 12:18 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(01-10-2011 10:30 PM)webhog Wrote:  sriracha sauce rocks.

you know whats really good on pizza? whole cloves of roasted garlic, added towards the end so they don't burn. omg.

yum Smile
01-12-2011 09:28 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(01-12-2011 12:18 AM)Anjil Wrote:  Arden wrote:

Oh my, that is funnny, Arden !!!!! Big Grin

I saw those noodles in the "natural foods" section of Raley's yesterday and remembered your earlier post. Almost bought some to mix with my peanut sauce. But then I thought, danng, what a small package of noodles they give ya !!Sad

Glad I didn't try 'em. I HATE BOINGY !!!!! AngryAngryAngry

Tough or rubbery I can take cuz I got teeth or whatever. But boingy ???

I think that implies springy yet soggy.

No. That's not for me, ha !!!!! Tongue

not soggy, but very springy ... uniquely gelatinously
01-12-2011 09:30 AM