Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Easter/Passover/Spring Holiday Food?
Arden Offline
your friend

Easter/Passover/Spring Holiday Food?
Anyone making anything special for a holiday gathering they'd like to share?
I've made these Huevos Haminados before, and I think I'll make them again this year ...
http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/passo...dos-048168
they are very beautiful, in a natural way, plus the egg is enhanced with a mild onion flavor - quite delicious!!
04-21-2011 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Arden Offline
your friend

RE: Easter/Passover/Spring Holiday Food?
This will be my main entree for Easter dinner ...
http://www.food.com/recipe/artichoke-pot...ole-105649
04-22-2011 08:09 AM
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

(04-22-2011 08:09 AM)Arden Wrote:  This will be my main entree for Easter dinner ...
http://www.food.com/recipe/artichoke-pot...ole-105649

Looks quite yummy !!!! Only thing seems strange to me is caraway seeds n' ginger. Hmmm, wonder what that combo tastes like... Huh

It also looks like they need a photo of that tasty concoction. Will ya have time to pause & take one ? Maybe not, if company's coming. They might not understand 'bout that, ha !!!!

Let us know how it turns out. HAPPY EASTER to YOU, Arden !!!! Heart

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
04-22-2011 07:22 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

I am not putting in the caraway, that did not sound good to me, either. I got sharp white cheddar. I'm thinkin' about perhaps adding some sliced olives, too.
Yes, I can take a pic, and I'll definitely report back. Smile
04-22-2011 10:18 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Made my first batch of huevos haminados last night ...

[Image: 100_4958.jpg]

[Image: 100_4927.jpg]

[Image: 100_4914.jpg]

will make some more tonight ... Smile
04-23-2011 08:28 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Okay, Anjil, just for you ... here are my holiday photos ...
but now YOU'VE gotta share yours, fair is fair!! Smile

new tablecloth!
[Image: 100_4989.jpg]

artichoke casserole just out of the oven ...
[Image: 100_4991.jpg]

yes, it was very good, and SPICY! Oooo la weeeee ... but what did I expect from a recipe from a Paul Prudhomme cookbook called "Fiery Foods that I Love!" !!

and a serving on a plate ...
[Image: 100_4997.jpg]

tangerine cutie ...
[Image: 100_4999.jpg]

and a chocolate chip banana cake with walnuts ...
[Image: 100_4992.jpg]

Happy Easter/Spring, everyone! Hope you all had a great day!
04-24-2011 10:07 PM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

Everything looks and sounds wonderful! Glad you had a lovely dinner. Bill's game for trying the potato/artichoke dish, but I'll probably leave out the heat as he doesn't do well with really, really spicy.

Lovely table you set, darlin'. Smile
04-25-2011 07:23 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

Yes, I would caution that this dish is extremely spicy. Even I would make it with less heat next time, and I like stuff super spicy. Also, it took nearly twice as long to bake as the recipe said. (That could be because I had a lot of other stuff in the oven simultaneously) All that being said, it's very different, unusual, and quite tasty. Most definitely tastes Cajun.
http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=...1&view=304
Thanks for all the nice comments, Monica, hope you had a lovely evening, as well.
04-25-2011 09:18 AM
Anjil Offline
...in trouble again, ha !!!

(04-24-2011 10:07 PM)Arden Wrote:  Okay, Anjil, just for you ... here are my holiday photos ...

Happy Easter/Spring, everyone! Hope you all had a great day!

That is fabulous, Arden !!!! Your table is set HEAVENLY. Especially the colors !!!!!

And the tangerine cutie loooks to be swirling in an ecstatic dancing swoon, ha !!!!!!

Sorry I took no pix of my party. Dodgy I was trying to stay cool about cooking for a crowd and totally didn't think of taking photos !!!!! Confused

But everyone did like the food. I could tell. Big Grin

And my Bro-in-Law brought the makings for GRILLED PIZZA which was a huge hit on our appetizer table !!!!!!!!! Tongue

I used Super Sweet BABY Bell Peppers for the stuffed peppers. They turned out AWESOME and were SO CUTE n' colorful !!! Also made fresh Pesto Ravioli. My niece brought an Asian Grilled Tofu Cabbage salad that was really goood.

I did grill some chicken skewers for the meat eaters but didn't try eating them cuz it made me sick to look at them when I was threading them onto the sticks, arggggh !!!!!!

And I ended up doing my fave potatoes which is just simple organic Potatoes Au Gratin with Green Onions. That dish makes Anjil happy, ha !!!

But the best thing was being with what's left of my small family. I lost both my sisters in the past 18 months or so... The rest of us now treasure every second together. HeartFlyHeart

"Anjil flying toooo close to the ground..."
04-25-2011 07:07 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Heart RE: Easter/Passover/Spring Holiday Food?
oh, my, Anjil ... my heart goes out to you, I know exactly what you mean about gathering your ever-shrinking family around you ... and I know about missing your sis, too ... [Image: hug.gif]
all your food sounds incredible and awesome, and it sounds like a FEAST! how did you do the breading on the peppers? what did you use for the stuffing? AND homemade pesto ravioli! Wow! And your niece's salad sounds deeeelicious! And your fave spuds!! What a feast!! and dessert? Smile
04-25-2011 07:44 PM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

(04-25-2011 09:18 AM)Arden Wrote:  Yes, I would caution that this dish is extremely spicy. Even I would make it with less heat next time, and I like stuff super spicy. Also, it took nearly twice as long to bake as the recipe said. (That could be because I had a lot of other stuff in the oven simultaneously) All that being said, it's very different, unusual, and quite tasty. Most definitely tastes Cajun.
http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=...1&view=304
Thanks for all the nice comments, Monica, hope you had a lovely evening, as well.

I love to use a table cloth and drag out all the pretty stuff when company comes. Only time I get to or even feel like doing it. Smile

Do you switch up colors sometimes or do you stick with one basic color scheme as shown above?
04-27-2011 02:05 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

We use a tablecloth every day, not just for company - mostly because the surface of the table is badly trashed (it needs to be refinished)
If it was beautiful wood, I probably wouldn't bother with a tablecloth,but ...

I switch it out frequently when it gets boring, and I switch it out seasonally, as well - I'll usually have a floral or leaf motif for in spring or summer, and a harvest or pinecone motif for fall or winter
04-27-2011 02:30 PM
Monica Offline
Amateur Hamateur

(04-27-2011 02:30 PM)Arden Wrote:  We use a tablecloth every day, not just for company - mostly because the surface of the table is badly trashed (it needs to be refinished)
If it was beautiful wood, I probably wouldn't bother with a tablecloth,but ...

I switch it out frequently when it gets boring, and I switch it out seasonally, as well - I'll usually have a floral or leaf motif for in spring or summer, and a harvest or pinecone motif for fall or winter

I almost hate to use a tablecloth on gran's old pink and black formica table. Everyone who sees it loves it, but I do like to set a nice table when someone comes for dinner, and Debbie sent me a lovely East Indian designed one. So I HAVE to use it. Wink
04-27-2011 03:48 PM