Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4 Average
Vintage Squeals (August 2009)
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

RE: Fresh Sqeals...
I had a Bacon, onion and cheese omelet this morning.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
08-01-2009 11:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Arden Offline
your friend

I remember the Fat Cat well, but it's been a long. long time ...

that's some story you linked to there, WH! [Image: msn-smiley-6645.gif]
08-01-2009 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user
kevin Offline
Piglet

I am alive and well, getting ready for my daughter's wedding next Friday. I just am not comfortable with the way this board is laid out. I need something simplier without so much stuff. Just my thing. Of all the boards I go to, this is has the most bells and whistles I've ever seen. But then, I don't know how to, and don't care to, text or twitter. Hate that I have to have a new cell phone with all it's stuff - guess I'm an old fart. Loved my plain jane Nokia from 8 years ago.

and Life goes on....
08-01-2009 11:17 AM
kevin Offline
Piglet

Hi Arden - sadly, but not, listening to the Newport Festival live on MVY. Miss you. Kevin

and Life goes on....
08-01-2009 11:20 AM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

Kevin, welcome back and I know what you mean. I won't trade my old phone just because I am comfortable with it and don't need all the stuff either.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2009 11:27 AM by clockdoctor.)
08-01-2009 11:22 AM
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

Webhawg,
What a story about the Fat Cat! Did you scroll down to see the photo of the guys "undercover"? Classic army BS--could see them coming a mile away. I was drafted in the early 70's, and the army in their infinite wisdom decided I should be an MP. I got to know some of the CID yahoos and they were amusing. I spent my two years smoking as much dope as possible. Used to really scare the crap out of guys when I'd walk in wearing my cop regalia and catch them with a joint--until I grabbed it and sat down with them. Ah, the good old days indeed.
08-01-2009 11:30 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(08-01-2009 11:20 AM)kevin Wrote:  Hi Arden - sadly, but not, listening to the Newport Festival live on MVY. Miss you. Kevin

well, gee, Kevin ...

it's really great to finally hear from you, it's been MONTHS! Smile

sorry to hear you don't enjoy the new board, many folks are really digging it, and it really really isn't all that complicated ... don't you remember the board we had WAY long ago when Wild Bill built it? Really no diff in terms of bells and whistles ...

and yeah, it's really kinda sad that you are checkin' in to tell me not only do you never squeal anymore because you don't like the board, you also make a deliberate point of telling me you are not even listening to me ...

sad, indeed ...

yeah, um, I miss you too ...
08-01-2009 11:34 AM
kevin Offline
Piglet

Alright - I have no idea what I am doing here, no idea why there is a YouTube thingy, no idea what a "quick reply" is, no idea how to just look at a plain scroll down of posts. Sorry, but most boards I can navigate, but I don't even know if I am posting. See you later. Arden, if you get this, I'll email you later. K-

and Life goes on....
08-01-2009 11:39 AM
Arden Offline
your friend

(08-01-2009 11:39 AM)kevin Wrote:  Alright - I have no idea what I am doing here, no idea why there is a YouTube thingy, no idea what a "quick reply" is, no idea how to just look at a plain scroll down of posts. Sorry, but most boards I can navigate, but I don't even know if I am posting. See you later. Arden, if you get this, I'll email you later. K-

Kevin, you have a professional career as a lawyer, this board is not all that complicated, and you are definitely smart enough to "get it"

1. The "You Tube Thingy" is there if you want to quickly link to a You Tube video. It's there cause some folks like to use it. You don't have to use it. It's that simple.

2. the "quick reply" is just that - a very quick way of answering someone if you don't need to add a link or smilies or any other formatting
also something you don't even have to pay any attention to if you don't want to ... or use it all the time, if you want ... it makes things very quick and easy ...

3. the only diff navigating this board and any other is the posts are bottom to top instead of top to bottom ... a slight inconvience, I admit - but it's the one thing WH hasn't been able to change ...

4. You are obviously posting ...

why don't you give it more than a "two posts and ta-ta" try?
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2009 11:55 AM by Arden.)
08-01-2009 11:51 AM
Pretender Offline
Licensed Cynic

(08-01-2009 11:22 AM)clockdoctor Wrote:  Kevin, welcome back and I know what you mean. I won't trade my old phone just because I am comfortable with it and don't need all the stuff either.

Come on you guys-don't admit that you're ready for the "Jitterbug" Rolleyes
08-01-2009 11:54 AM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

Sounds like Kevin has a lot on his plate. Hope he tries again after the wedding.
Arden you are a great member with patience. Explaining all the ins & outs is appreciated.

08-01-2009 11:55 AM
webhog Offline
Bit Mangler

actually, pretty much every -regular- message board I've seen defaults to newest reply on the bottom, same as this one, that includes vBB (a popular $$$ message board), phpBB (the free board most commonly used), Phorum (another free board).

Squeals is kinda different in that it was originally conceived as more of a 'shout' board, like twitter 15 years too soon, where there weren't threads and conversations, just 'shout outs', newest on top, and at least originally after a few days they'd roll off the end and be lost forever.

btw, if you've started a 'quick reply' then decide you want the full monty, click 'preview post' and that gives you the full editor with your half written post... then you get the smiley buttons and stuff.

there is a mod I haven't gotten around to looking at that will add the basic edit functions (bold, italic, etc) to the quick editor too, but I've kind of held off because it might make the default viewtopic page too cluttered.
08-01-2009 12:02 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

WH, we've got all we need, quick reply is absolutely fine "as is"
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2009 12:04 PM by Arden.)
08-01-2009 12:03 PM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

WH, sorry, I should extend KUDOs to you also. I keep myself confused just trying to keep the inventory on my OS Commerce site straight.

08-01-2009 12:07 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(08-01-2009 11:54 AM)Pretender Wrote:  Come on you guys-don't admit that you're ready for the "Jitterbug" Rolleyes

nah, not quite yet ... but on the other hand, I don't need a phone with a million options, either ...
can it make and receive calls? can someone leave a message, and can I retrieve said message? That's really all I want ... I don't need or want to twitter, check my email, get directions, take a picture, or anything other than make and receive calls on my phone.
I especially am unhappy with the fact that a large majority of newer phones all seem to be prone to making "pocket calls" ...
08-01-2009 12:08 PM
bobburney Offline
Gettin' Piggy with it!

Afternoon all.

[Image: MP0801.gif]

http://www.hungryformusic.org/
08-01-2009 12:11 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

Howdy, Bob!!
08-01-2009 12:11 PM
Arden Offline
your friend

(08-01-2009 11:55 AM)clockdoctor Wrote:  Sounds like Kevin has a lot on his plate. Hope he tries again after the wedding.
Arden you are a great member with patience. Explaining all the ins & outs is appreciated.

hmm, I don't know how patient I am, Richard, but thanks ...
I just hate to see someone stay away because the board intimidates them ... there's no need for that ...
but you are right, maybe when Kevin gets past this major life event, he'll be back ... I hope so
08-01-2009 12:17 PM
clockdoctor Offline
Just Enjoying Life!

Hi Bob, Happy Saturday!

08-01-2009 12:23 PM
bobburney Offline
Gettin' Piggy with it!

(08-01-2009 12:23 PM)clockdoctor Wrote:  Hi Bob, Happy Saturday!

I like Saturdays. Had a campfire last night with a beautiful sunset. Doesn't get much better.

http://www.hungryformusic.org/
08-01-2009 12:35 PM
Thread Closed